• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mystery drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

Windows explorer shows a Q drive which i never setup so i click it and it gives me error "Q drive is not accessible " - Access is denied. If i go into Disk Management it doesn't show a Q drive. what is this ?

6jk31t.jpg

Yeah that would be characteristic of Win7's "System reserved" volume, but it usually has a drive letter. Yours does not, according to device manager, yet there's a Q drive in explorer.

You can see what the diskpart utility says. Just type diskpart at the run or cmd prompt then type: list vol
look for the System Reserved label and see whether it's mapped to Q.

Im not trying anything until people tell me what these commands do. I don't want to make things worse.

Code:
sel vol 1
assign letter Q
list vol

Selects volume 1 (the System Reserved volume, according to your screenshot)
assignes the drive letter "Q" to volume 1
Displays the active volumes

I'd like to see if it will let you do this.

Code:
subst q: /d

Most likely will do absolutely nothing in your current situation. Type just "subst" and if doesn't output anything, then the subst q: /d will only return invalid.

can you post a pic of what disk 0 and 1 look like inside disk management, first image only shows disk 2 and cd-rom.

can you also grab a screen shot of the computer window

it most certainly is the system partition created by w7. it holds all the system information for your partitions + bootldr etc (old boot.ini).

u wipe it and good luck getting your system operational without problems. it is def more robust for moving systems/cloning, but i believe it is something which could have been a lot less complex.

read more about it from my experience :thup:

it most certainly is the system partition created by w7. it holds all the system information for your partitions + bootldr etc (old boot.ini).

u wipe it and good luck getting your system operational without problems. it is def more robust for moving systems/cloning, but i believe it is something which could have been a lot less complex.

read more about it from my experience :thup:

why would it would it assign a letter to it?

plus he didn't show us what disk 0 and 1 look like in disk management

who knows? just offering my expertise on these silly hidden boot partitions. :D

Well that's why i asked, figuring you would know, I knew about the hidden partition but it has never assigned a letter for me. if that is the case, then he can just un-assign the drive letter from that partition.

Well that's why i asked, figuring you would know, I knew about the hidden partition but it has never assigned a letter for me

it shouldnt assign a letter, we need more information from the thread author. my guess would be, IF Q was the system partition, it could have been something created in the past and W7 is just reassigning a previous drive letter, but does not explain why its not labeling it in diskpart. Q drive letter default assignment is unusual, especially with only 4 apparent physical drives.

Back