• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mystery shutdowns.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bangwhiz

Been running old 939 Epox 9npa + ultra MB with overclocked 1.8gz server chip overclocked to 2.8 ghz for years. Lately been shutting down without warning. Just poof! Tested memory, checked hard disk, looked at temps, etc and no clue. Cool as a cucumber. Ran Prime 95 for a while didn't notice anything with open hardware monitor or cpu-z. I am suspecting power supply. I removed overclock and running it all stock at the moment. If it shuts down again then power supply is probably gone wacko. Anyone have any other suggestions?

My primary PC is in my sig. This one being used for TV via tuner card.

Last edited:
One of the reasons Epox went under was their boards tendencies for 'Epox Sudden Death Syndrome'.
Get prepared. ;)

One of the reasons Epox went under was their boards tendencies for 'Epox Sudden Death Syndrome'.
Get prepared. ;)

Epox motherboards failing are 98 percent because of bad caps, at least for pre-2004 motherboards, not sure about post-2003 motherboards.
Epox liked using GSC caps, especially during the socket 462 era.

Hopefully, Epox at least stopped using crap caps in the socket 939 era...

Note that even with Japanese caps, it's possible that the caps failed (faulty) and requires a recap...

Back