• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NB heatsink idea: cutting heat pipe between NB/SB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solder

I have been having a heat issue with my NB/IOH hitting 81-82*C when the system is busy (idle about 75-77*C). I went hunting around the forums and found someone had mentioned cutting their heat pipe to allow for a waterblock. I have found a replacement heatsink for the IOH but can't find a replacement for the SB because of its size. This leads me to the idea of cutting the heat pipe between the two. This would leave the stock SB heatsink, which seems to be working fine on its own, and allow me to replace the heatsink on the IOH. Any opinions, ideas, suggestions, warnings would be great.

Heat pipes are usually filled with a liquid to aid the cooling effect of the pipe, and cutting into this will obviously cause it to leak all over you're mobo and render the rest of the pipe work as good as useless so I would not advise cutting it. Hope this helps you out :thup:

Yeah, I would also avoid cutting it. If you really want to replace the heatsinks, I would chop up a larger heatsink to replace the SB heatsink and remove the entire NB/SB heatpipe assembly intact.

Here's the deal with heat pipes from what I've read on the subject. They're not "filled" with fluid, there's only about .5cc (about two drops) of H2O in them. The pipes are vacuum sealed which lowers the boiling point of the water inside to allow it to vaporize and transfer the heat away towards the cooler part of the pipe.

Mind you, I'm not planning on cutting the pipe while attached to the board, that's just crazy. Given the temperature of the IOH as it is, it's quite possible the SB might run cooler if it's not attached to it.

That sounds more like terrible contact between the NB heatsink and the NB, to me.
Is the heatsink hot?

Yeah, I would also avoid cutting it. If you really want to replace the heatsinks, I would chop up a larger heatsink to replace the SB heatsink and remove the entire NB/SB heatpipe assembly intact.

Nice idea but I don't have access to a shop and the tools to accomplish that.

I've done that in the past with a drill and a hacksaw. Or a dremel. Doesn't require much...

That sounds more like terrible contact between the NB heatsink and the NB, to me.
Is the heatsink hot?

Yeah quite. I have already reseated it with Arctic Silver 5 and used non conductive washers on the back of the board to increase pressure for better contact.

Can you simply get better airflow over it with a fan and maybe a bracket of some kind?

I've done that in the past with a drill and a hacksaw. Or a dremel. Doesn't require much...

I'll see if I can find someone with a dremel. I'm not even sure I could pull off the measurements to line up the mounting holes properly. Maybe... I'll ask around re: the dremel.

Can you simply get better airflow over it with a fan and maybe a bracket of some kind?

I just added a fan to the rear of the case as an intake which is why it's at the temperature it is now instead of 96-98*C. I just want it way lower than it is and having a heck of a time finding a way to do that.

Like I said I have found a replacement heatsink for the IOH just can't find a SB that will fit. All the replacements are 56mm - 59mm hole spacing and this is about ~4.5mm

The IOH has a solid block mounted on the top of the fins with MSI's logo on it.

Put a fan on the heatsink if it's hot. I like to use old AMD heatsink fans. Pretty quiet, 60mm x 15mm.

Put a fan on the heatsink if it's hot. I like to use old AMD heatsink fans. Pretty quiet, 60mm x 15mm.

This is the IOH right there in the center with the MSI logo. This was taken before i added the rear 480 rad

IMG-20120221-00067.jpg

I'd mount a thin fan sideways to push air through it.
That's a horrible heatsink design for anything other than the stock cooler. Manufacturers are awfully stupid sometimes.

I'd mount a thin fan sideways to push air through it.
That's a horrible heatsink design for anything other than the stock cooler. Manufacturers are awfully stupid sometimes.

Hahaha I know right, who was the genus behind that one? Whil-e-kyote super genus...

Maybe I'll try a small fan like you said before I go drastic.

Is the "MSI" cover on the heatsink soldered or glued on? The old Asus P5WDH board I used to have had a cover on the nb heatsink much like that but was just glued down. I simply peeled the sucker off and instant cooler temps.

I'm not sure, I will have to check that out. I hope it's just glued down, wow thanks!

you might be able to use a mem cooler bracket to cool the NB, I'd check to see if it's just glued down like he said, I've taken the heatsink covers off before and usually drop about 5c, then with a fan 10+c so that may help.

I might have to pull off the heatsink to pry off the top plate. It's difficult to get a decent angle on it but the good news is it's not attached to all the fins. I can move a lot of 'em as if they're not attached to the top. I'm trying to come up with a plan to create some leverage (carefully) without having to remove the entire heatsink. I haven't been successful with a jewelers screwdriver between the top and the fins yet. I'll keep running the whole thing through my head for a bit.

Back