• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Alphacool MCX GPU memory blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elgreco31

Was looking for a thread to discuss these MCX mini-blocks as I'm in dire need of some expert opinions. Couldn't really find one specifically tackling these blocks so decided to take the plunge and start a new one. First-timer, so be gentle.

I'm a noob myself with this being my first water cooled build so kinda feeling my (very expensive) way round the process.

Despite planning this for ages, I managed to make some basic mistakes. My main advice as one newcomer to any others around is, if you're planning to watercool a GPU, I strongly advise using a reference sized card!

Anyway, I'm all set for most of my build and it's actually up and running (more or less). Using an XSPC block on my CPU and an XSPC pump/res combo with two rads and respective fans interspersed between CPU and GPU.

The problem first arose when I realised no one makes a full-cover block for my Vapor-X 7970. I went for another XSPC GPU only block thinking that would be that. However, when I stripped the initial card from it's heatsink and fans and installed the block, I found the card will only run for 10-15 seconds before it puts the display to sleep.

I can get in the PC bios but even with an SSD cannot get into Windows properly before my screen goes dark. I have a Logitech G15 so I can see the PC is still happily running, but the screen is asleep.

First question. The memory modules are now bare leading me to the conclusion that this might be the cause of the problem and that their overheat was causing the shutdown. Is this a possibility or am I way off the mark?

Second question. How can I be sure that my GPU block is doing its job and that the overheat is not stemming from the chip itself?

And my third question which needs an intro first.
I got a dozen of these mini MCX blocks and have installed them on my card's memory modules using some arctic silver thermal adhesive.
What you can't really see in the cool photo above with lots of funky luminous tubing is that you need an alphacool 'divider' that is basically an in/out small splitter that connects to your GPU block and adds 5 smaller 3mm barbs to your loop. These are obviously to allow you to hook up the mini-blocks.

The question is: Should I connect all these mini blocks to one splitter (ie with the water going out and then back in via the same splitter), or can I use a second splitter on the other side of the GPU block? ie one splitter before the GPU waterblock to feed the mini-blocks, and then one splitter at the exit of the GPU block to act as the re-entry from the mini-blocks?
Since I have twelve memory modules and (using two splitters) five exit barbs I'm thinking of doing two sets of three modules and three sets of two modules from the 'exit' splitter (and obviously replicating on the other side when the 'mini-loop' rejoins the main loop).

Does this sound like a good/moderate/bad idea?
Any other suggestions are also welcome, but bear in mind that the full build has set me back in the region of 600-700eur which is painful enough. I'd rather not have to cough up any other major cash. Small investment to solve a bigger problem would still be ok though.

1. THere are plenty of cards where the memory is not actively cooled with a heatsink. I doubt that is the issue, especially immediately upon start up.

2. SOunds like it is not mounted properly or something. No way to know without getting in to windows and checking its temperature.

EDIT: After googling to figure out what you are talking about. I found those cute mini blocks... and I wouldnt touch them with a 10' pole. They have to be so restrictive......

I do not see a picture. Perhaps you hosted it via 3rd party which my office blocks. Please host here at the site following the instructions below.

OCFinsertimages.png

Thanks for the reply.

photo.JPG

Hopefully you can see it now. I placed the splitter on the card to hopefully make it easier to see.

i know this is going to sound silly, but I can't show u the block as its in this rig and part of my loop even though its not attached to a gpu... I'm back to my 5870 for the time being. (i didnt want to drain the whole thing yet).

Not sure what I can do next. Should I maybe try and re-mount the GPU block on the card? I'm not sure how I can tell if it's properly seated as I cant take temp readings.

Does the metal 'frame' around the gpu affect mounting? I guess not as I went back to the stock heatsink solution and the card works fine albeit sounding like a fighter jet.

I'm waiting for the second splitter to arrive in the post, after which I'll drain the loop, reinstall everything, try and re-mount the gpu block to see if it works.

As cool as those things are... I would never use them... wow. Also, you seem to need to go block to block with your tubing.... unless that is just a mockup of course.

I know what you mean about not using them. I've heard plenty of comments about restricting the flow. I honestly don't know what'll happen when I hook it all up. I guess I got a little p*xxed off about the fact that I'd hooked up everything, leak tested and yet the gpu wasnt working. I got desperate and didn't stop to think that the problem could be at a more basic level. To be honest I still don't know if it is, but your suggestion seems more logical than mine...
I'll keep you posted, just so people can find out what (if anything) these little blocks do.

i got some enzotech heatsinks but the thermal tape didnt keep them on too well. Might try again with some arctic adhesive.

the tape works fine you have to make sure they are verrry clean with high concentrated rubbing alcohol and completely dry and never touch the middle of the tape with your fingers.

Did you get a block that has the built in shim for HD 7000 series cards? AMD recessed the GPU so unless it's meant special for HD 7000s or comes with a shim, the block is NOT making contact with the GPU.
As others have stated, your RAM has nothing to do with your problem.
Also, thermal adhesive sucks, even the good stuff. Consider putting a tiny dab of super glue on the corners of each piece once you have the TIM applied evenly.

Last edited:
There is a copper shim out there somewhere for those cards. Iv'e seen it on fcpu or pcp one of them.

Am starting to think I should've sought help via the forum muuuuuuuch earlier.

I've googled and interneted myself half to death and I never spotted any talk of problems with the recessed die in the 7970. I'm guessing that this is beause most people use reference boards in their builds and the main waterblocks are full cover.

I suppose I have no choice but to go for the shim from FrozenCPU (thanks for the tip - I found it on their site).

Is it going to kill the cooling efficiency? I mean to the extent that it might be worth putting my Sapphire card back together, sellling it on ebay and investing in a new reference card and taking the hit...?

Thanks all v much for what had proved invaluable input so far.

Swiftech sells a model of their universal gpu block built for the 7950/70 series of cards if you dont feel comfortable with a shim. But the shim should work fine and only add a degree or two if you use good paste.

And for sure ditch those ram blocks in favor of just some basic heatsinks and airflow, since you will want some airflow for the vrm heatsink anyway.

The shim will make like 2-3 degrees difference, but that's opposed to taking off the protective metal piece and exposing the die directly, which is a bit silly. It's either a 7000 specific block like Supertrucker said or using a shim. Shims are fine.
A reference board still has the recessed die.

Ok. Well thanks all for the info and advice. I've ordered the shim and have confirmation it's en route. I'll deliberate over whether to use simple heatsinks or risk the mini-blocks. I'll post back when I get the shim and install it, just to confirm if it solved the problem.

I do have one more question though, and it relates to airflow.

My case is a snow edition of the level 10GT. In terms of airflow I have a 240 rad up top which has two gentle typhoons on it. I have a 140 fan on the back of on a 140 koolance rad. The only other fans I have are the big (200mm?) standard 'entry' fan on the front of the case in front of the hotswap HDDs and and the one on the door of the case (cant remember the size...)

I wondering if I will get enough airflow to my GPU in this setup. Will the fan in the door 'ventilate' the GPU adequately (if I switch to passive memory heatsinks for example)? I'm thinking it should be ok as the two remaining case fans i mentioned above are quite big, but if someone has any input, I'm happy to listen.
thanks.

The memory isn't what really needs the airflow, its the vrm's that will need it. When you get it all set up just check gpu-z to see if your card reports vrm temps. If it does try to keep them under 100℃.

A quick update to the thread to say thanks to all who helped. The shim arrived (took ages but at least it got here). Installed everything Saturday. Took out the mini blocks, primarily because they were doing my head in. I used my Enzotech passive heatsinks instead. Had to bend some of the fins to make room for the fitting and tubing (the XSPC Raystorm GPU block is not very accomodating in this respect), but it's a minor point and surely unlikely to cause too much chaos.
Leak tested Saturday evening until Sunday evening and then reconnected all my parts. Booted up and everything runs smoothly. My 7970 Vapor-X runs at idle temps of 29°C (ambient is around 21°C). I have yet to try it under load, but I'm happy with that. It's a drop of 10°C on the stock fan and heatsink - and the biggest bonus is, it's silent

So thanks very much to all for your help. Now allthat's left is to look into the CaseLabs TH-10......and win the lottery.

That's great news elgreco! I'm glad it all worked out for you. The load temps are going to be the bigger difference, it will STAY silent even at full load. :)
You can download utilities to check vrm and memory temps as Supertrucker says, but I think you'll be ok with what you have. If not, try a PCI fan bracket and put a cheap fan under your GPU.

thx Jesh. The Vapor-x is such a loud card in its stock form that that transformation now is incredible.

Hi! Did you ever end up using the Alphacool MCX's? Would be interesting to hear about how effectively they really were on a graphics card.

Back