• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a fan that is able to last through heavy moisture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

This isn't for a pc. Its for my saltwater aquarium. :attn:
I have 5 120mm pc fans, connected through a 4pin molex adapter, that I use to cool my fish tank.
3 of the fans are inside the stand, its very humid, moist and pretty much a horrible enviroment for electronics. Which is being proven to me by the fact that I've lost 2 in about 2 months.

I started off with some cheaper CoolerMaster's and am now trying some better quality Antecs I had sitting around the house.

I get that I'm probably asking too much from a pc fan to expect it to last through this salty hell, but I had the parts here at the house and my only other option for cooling is to cut a vent into the front of my stand and aim a 12v fan at it.

Does anyone know a TOUGH pc fan that would last the longer through this kind of abuse?
Or is there some kind of way to seal the motor of a fan?

Have you considered a fan like those used in bathroom ceilings? They take allot of humidity when you shower. Kinda there point (to remove moister). You'd pay quite a bit more though ($50-$100 depending on brand and things)...

I suppose if you found an O ring the right size you could seal off most moister from the fan motor, but I'd imagine it would drag (as they don't really have to much power) or get to hot...

If you want a TOUGH fan, I'd try to find an OLD compaq around mid - early 90's, I used to use one as a propeller on a toy boat I had lol, just put a little oil on it every now and then...

OR

Get a

Toshiba

;) :D

Last edited:
One of those would be alittle bulky, and hard to place.
I really wish I could find a 120mm option, because I already placed abunch around the tank, fitting them in places where not much else would fit.

I don't think any computer fan would actually be designed or really suitable for this application. You need a fan with a sealed motor and bearings.

I know I'm not going to find a waterproof one, I'm just looking for something that will last the longest before dieing out....

Sucks though, because I will have to break them in a attempt to find the one that can take the most abuse.

Oh, I meant to post something about that in my post but forgot.

It might work, the link is alittle suspicious though.
The price is a kick in the nuts, especially since I'll need atleast 3.

Oh, I meant to post something about that in my post but forgot.

It might work, the link is alittle suspicious though.
The price is a kick in the nuts, especially since I'll need atleast 3.

Well you see there are fan companies out there now and your Google-Foo might come in handy.

Lastly, you want to play, you pay. Even with fish in a box.

That fan listed ain't that quiet. So if you go to fan manufacturer web pages and DIG into the specs, then find a source you might get lucky.

Thankfully fish like watercooling/PC cooling is a hobby. You got the rest of your life to figure it out.

The outdoor fans in air conditioning equipment are waterproof, but they're probably too big for your application.

Could you locate the fans further away and duct them?

Back