• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a good reasonably priced psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zero cool

Looking to upgrade most of my system in the (hopefully) near future. At present I have a Q-Tec 550W power supply which obviously ain't the best. Having read various threads in this forum I realise that having a decent psu is important. However I don't know if my budget will allow me to go for one of the top line psu's like the ocz. Can anyone recommend a cheaper but still highly reliable brand to look for. ( BTW I am based in the UK if that makes any diff) Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)

Are you going to upgrade to an Intel or AMD? High Intel overclocks require a lot from the +12v line so a single rail would serve that purpose better. For AMD you can get a high quality multi +12v PSU.

A good dual rail PSU that is easy on the wallet is the Fortron/Sparkle AX450-PN. Other good PSUs cheaper than the OCZ Powerstream 520 include Antec SmartPower 500, Antec TruePower II 550, and Fortron/Sparkle BlueStorm 500. Enermax also makes decent PSUs for decent prices.

Last edited:
R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
Are you going to upgrade to an Intel or AMD? High Intel overclocks require a lot from the +12v line so a single rail would serve that purpose better. For AMD you can get a high quality multi +12v PSU.

A good dual rail PSU that is easy on the wallet is the Fortron/Sparkle AX450-PN. Other good PSUs cheaper than the OCZ Powerstream 520 include Antec SmartPower 500, Antec TruePower II 550, and Fortron/Sparkle BlueStorm 500. Enermax also makes decent PSUs for decent prices.

Thanks for the advice and info :)

I am upgrading to (hopefully) an AMD Opty 146, 148 or 165 depending upon funds and my decision to go double core or stick with single core as I am mainly a gamer

Back