• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need a replacement NB heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solder

I am in dire need of a replacement NB heatsink for my MSI x58 PRO board. I'm sick of the thing sitting just under 5000*Kelvin :mad:. I've found a couple that look promising like this one and maybe this one but I would like something with screws instead of push pins. If there are any suggestions please let me know.

I'm sure if it stays as hot as it is I'm going to have to upgrade sooner than I want to, or can afford to for that matter. I'm already looking at the Z77 with the 3770K and 2400MHz RAM which will amount to somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 bucks. Right now that translates to OUCH.

i havent seen any that come with screws instead of pushpins, even my huge thermalrite hr-05 is held on by pushpins and its fine :)

Are they stiff springs? The ones that are used on the stock heatsink from MSI are the very definition of weak. The spring in a mechanical pen blows these out of the water.

im not sure they are strong enough to hold it up and keep good contact its like 4 inches tall and has a heatpipe

Well I'll take some measurements and talk to the guys over at Frozen CPU. I always heard bad things about the push pin setup being flimsy and what not. Thanks Wagex, maybe I'll fix it yet.

As it turns out, I had a great idea for a temporary fix until I can mod the fan's mounting holes. I just mounted a 120mm fan on an angle blowing down on the board with twist ties to a pair of the mounting posts used with the rear rad mount. It's super ugly, but it has my NB temp at 64*C, down from 91.

So yes, a rear mounted fan used as an intake on the 800D is a really good idea.

could just get one that uses pushpins and attach it with some 3mm bolts with some nylon washers on the backside

could just get one that uses pushpins and attach it with some 3mm bolts with some nylon washers on the backside

Hmmmm, I suppose I could do that too, good idea. I always enjoy a trip to the hardware store. This is just such a bummer, I have a huge dilemma with this. If I am going to replace the NB heatsink, I have to replace the SB heatsink as well because the two are connected with a heat pipe stock. To do this I have to dump the water loop and remove all the parts down to the board to replace the stock parts. The cost of this is about 50ish for air cooling the NB/SB + all the hastle of draining and refilling the loop.

If I'm going through all the draining/rebuilding and filling, it almost seems more worth my while to buy a water block for the NB and add it to the loop which will cost about $130 (including the Heatsink for the SB). I'm just at a loss at the moment, not really sure which way I want to go.

That's what I was going to suggest. Works great, you just have to be sure you get it flat and not crooked.

Why do you have to drain your loop to replace the NB/SB? Is it that tight in there? If you're gonna drain, then yeah, a NB waterblock could be had for a lot less than 130. The thermalright passive heatsinks have heatpipes, and do a great job. The SB heatsink can't be more than $5 on ebay can it?

Why do you have to drain your loop to replace the NB/SB? Is it that tight in there? If you're gonna drain, then yeah, a NB waterblock could be had for a lot less than 130. The thermalright passive heatsinks have heatpipes, and do a great job. The SB heatsink can't be more than $5 on ebay can it?

In order to replace the NB/SB you have to remove the board. There is no access to the bottom mount of the NB from the back or either points on the SB with the board installed.

130 is total cost for parts... block, two fittings, SB heatsink (There are two of these about 7 dollar difference), new bottle of biocide, and 10 for shipping from Frozen CPU.

Last edited:
The Z77 has no need for cooling, :clap: I'm so glad to hear that. Thanks for the link Conumdrum, I'll take a look at the height, the plumbing might interfere with it. I just may go with a push pin setup, it sure would be easier than dumping my loop again.

Heck, if I can ever get my hands on a drill, I'll leave it the way it is. That 120 fan has made a huge difference, almost 30*! I just can't leave it with this fugly duct tape and bubblegum fix, I just can't, she's too pretty.

Last edited:
Back