• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a source for aluminum sheet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
It's about time I started a rather interesting computer case project. I've got a couple of spare cases now that will be part donors and am prepared to begin the planning stage.

Anyways, the goal of my project is to create a case that is light, fully contains a water cooling system, and is built using hinges to be able to completely fold the case open for easy modification.

My first step is to find a source of some aluminum sheet to start on making the case. I will also need some squareish aluminum rods to strengthen the frame and allow for stronger joints.

Additionally, I will need a manner for making good straight cuts so my case doesn't wind up all lopsided and a way to bond pieces together. I would like to be able to weld it to keep the look clean. I know someone with an arc welder but I don't know how well that would work on aluminum.

Anyone got any sources for aluminum (perhaps people who will pre cut the sheets to my size specs) and a good manner to bond everything together?

I'll second onlinemetals. Used them for sheet aluminum for a case project I'm working on. The base shipping charg is a little hefty, but dosn't increase much as your order expands, so plan out all the material you need and order once.

What guage should I be looking for in sheet to make the sides? I've never worked with aluminum before. I could also use a little help on figuring out how thick to make the support beams. I'm planning on essentially being able to use the beams to make a sideless case. Then I'll add some thin aluminum to it afterwards.

Any suggestions on making straight cuts? All I've got is a dremel.

Edit: Oooh! They have titanium sheet! I'm soo tempted.

Call a local machine shop and ask where they order their sheets from. You'll save 10-20% versus online suppliers.

If you can't find a local supplier I recommend McMaster.com

Part #6546K11 (search for it)
Alloy 6061 Aluminum Rectangle Tube .125" Wall Thickness, 1" X 1", 6' Length
In stock at $24.18 Each

The thickness of the sheet aluminum will depend on the size of the case you're trying to make. If everything inside the case is going to be structurally mounted to the square tubing via tapped screw holes than the outside could be 1/16th-inch (.0625"). If you need the exterior panels to support the weight of anything I'd go with 1/8th-inch (.125").

Welding aluminum is VERY difficult and (if I'm remembering correctly) can only be done with a TIG welder and the correct type of filament. You'll have to look it up, but it is one of the most difficult materials to weld because of it's thermal conductivity.

If you need specific construction and tooling advice I can help. The best tool for cutting aluminum is a $100+ bandsaw or a powerful jigsaw with a metal specific blade. A tablesaw would suffice if you got the right blade for it, but cutting aluminum with one can be kind of dangerous. If you need the sheets cut to a specific square size, then a local supplier will be capable of doing that for you before shipping the sheets, usually at no extra charge. If anything, the best thing to do is shop around on McMaster for what you need, then ordering locally to exact dimensions. Any interior cuts and holes could be done with just a drillpress and jigsaw.

Look at the prices of the titanium sheets. At $27 a square foot, that should fix that craving. ;)

Most cases seem to be made out of 1mm steel or aluminum, so I went with the 0.04" aluminum sheet. Their metric conversion tool says 0.04" is 1.02mm. Close enough. :)

Thanks for all the info. I think I am first going to look for the hardware for joining everything together (screws, hinges, etc) and work on making the thing out of wood for a test run to ensure everything fits well and functions correctly. Then I'll move on to the aluminum.

And capt slug, I am planning on allowing the frame to support all the weight. So 1/16" sounds good. You think that rectangle tube is strongo enough? It certainly seems large enough at 1" x 1".

I will likely look for a source to cut the sheet to the dimensions I need to make it all easier. The frame can be done at home though.

Along with rivets/screws, I can probably clean up the look of any joints with a blow torch and some solder to keep the look clean enough.

Krusty said:
And capt slug, I am planning on allowing the frame to support all the weight. So 1/16" sounds good. You think that rectangle tube is strongo enough? It certainly seems large enough at 1" x 1".
1" x 1" Square tube with .125" thickness is very strong and should be able to support even the heaviest of watercooling setups. You could easily cut the frame yourself with a mitre saw and some vice clamps. Doing so would allow you to completely box in the internals. The resulting frame could them be welded from the inside by a professional if desired.
Drive mounting plates could then be made from 1/16th-inch sheet aluminum and then mounted inside the frame.

As for hinges I recommend concealed hinges. They mount inside and hold the panel in the tightly-closed and open-to-90 degree positions.

Back