• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a ups for my psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr7777

need to buy a ups for my system with a 520watts seasonic s12II , sony 32inc tv (54watts max) and a 5.1 creative speaker.

Get a used APC rackmount (should be very cheap) and replace the batteries. Note that it's often cheaper to open up the module and replace the individual batteries than it is to replace the entire module.

Also, if you use a USB cable and apcupsd, only the PC (and any external HDDs) needs to be on battery backup.

should i buy apc 1000g in ups will that be compatible with my smps

That will work. You should get a USB cable with it and only the system needs to be on battery backup. Use the surge only outlets for the TV and speakers.

I have setup a UPS on everything I can.
My server rack has 3 rackmount SmartUPS1500, and a 1000.
One Sump pump is on a standalone 1500.
My Bedroom has everything PC and AV related running off of a rackmount SmartUPS1500 and another standalone 1500.
The Livingroom has everything PC and AV except for the Laserjet running off of a BackUPS1500.

I run everything off UPS if possible, it is much cheaper to replace batteries or even the entire UPS instead of replacing the TV, PC or receiver. I look at it the same way I look at buying a PSU. Yeah I could just use that paperweight noname free with purchase PSU to power my $x00.00+ rig or I could spend the extra money and buy a quality PSU that will work for years and likely WON'T let all the magic smoke out of my system.

Check Craigslist and Ebay for UPS near to you, there are a few vendors that sell batteries that work just fine in place of the overpriced battery packs from the manufacturer.

Heck AFTER I ordered batteries from one vendor, I found out that they were less than a mile from my house. Tracking that package was hilarious, it made it all the way to (IIRC) NY before turning around and coming back.

It uses stepped sine wave rather than pure sine wave, will there be any issue with that because i live in india and there is a lot of power cuts & Voltage Fluctuations.

It uses stepped sine wave rather than pure sine wave, will there be any issue with that because i live in india and there is a lot of power cuts & Voltage Fluctuations.

You should be fine with a stepped sine wave. In the summer time here in the US, it is common for the power companies to cut power, or reduce voltage during high demand. In New York City, Con Edison will cut the voltage so they don't have to do a brown out.

That indicates the UPS is overloaded, has bad batteries, or is defective. That's why I recommend a rackmount APC since those have lots of capacity and are built to very high quality. You can often find one extra cheap (just has bad batteries) and swap the batteries for a fraction of the cost of buying one new. Some even support external battery expansion for really long runtimes.

HOU MUCH WILL THAT COST (is 1000G IN not enough for my needs & what about the quality)

The APC you listed should work just fine for your use as long as only the PC is on the battery backup outlets. Keep the monitor and speakers on the surge only outlets.

Back