• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for a 2066 socket board for a video editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvee

Registered
A friend is starting up a Video recording business and wants me to build a Video Editing System for him using a Intel I7 7820x cpu.

I need recommendation for a great motherboard for this project. Minimum of 32gig ram, two m.2 sata SSD drives and 1-2 magnetic hard drives.
Water cooling probably a gtx 1050-1060 graphics card
My last eight builds were Ryzen. He is insisting on using an Intel cpu.. Socket type 2066.

Thanks,,,
Pvee

For me, i always picked Asrock for any build i do.

And im curious. any specific reason why he wants intel over AMD?

ASRock has solid X299 motherboards. So far can recommend the Taichi XE or Professional i9 XE. Both are on the same PCB. Also all other X299 ASRock motherboards have good reviews.

Threadripper seems like a good option too as others noticed. After all price drops it's possible to find the 1920x for almost as much as the 7820x and that's 12 cores vs 8 cores. At least I have one on the way to me and should arrive next week. I got it from Amazon ... after recent price drop, promo price and additional ~$100 price drop for signing to free 30 day Amazon Prime ( which I can cancel after the order ) it cost me about 40% less than a typical 1920x price from 2 weeks ago.
I'm not saying that TR is the best option but still worth to check performance/price wise. For these processors I also recommend ASRock Taichi.

For me, i always picked Asrock for any build i do.

And im curious. any specific reason why he wants intel over AMD?

Well, some people in the business claim that Intel works slightly better with Adobe Premier...!!!! I was pushing AMD from the beginning but since he is paying, I backed off. Doesn't matter to me and he would have saved 150-200 dollars.

I also have had great luck with Asrock boards. Eight out of the last nine builds have been Asrock, seven of them Ryzen.....

Well, It's built and he is happy so far. I7-7820X, 32 gig ram, Asrock x.299 board, gtx 1070, Two Samsung M.2 pro drives, plus one 4 TB hard drive, Corsair liquid cooling.. Fastest PC I have ever seen.
Hope it works great for him......

since your into video editing, i wanted ask you some questions.

Like do graphics cards such as the gtx 1070 really make a difference in video editing? what software would use it? do you have to tell the software to render on the card or what?

since your into video editing, i wanted ask you some questions.

Like do graphics cards such as the gtx 1070 really make a difference in video editing? what software would use it? do you have to tell the software to render on the card or what?

I know nothing about that business. I just built the computer for them.. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us on that business.

Back