• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on a new power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jrdnj15

Registered
After 5 years and about 3 computers later my power supply is nearing its final days. It has begun making a weird humming noise when i start up certain games. From what i have read people say this could be a number of things.

I'm curious if i should stick with same wattage of my current power supply which is 750W or go bigger this time to maybe 1000W. In the future i plan on getting another Radeon HD 7970 to do SLI so i'm trying to keep that in mind.

However at the time cash is kinda tight so i'm trying to find something reasonably priced my limit is like 130$. The one i found is the XION AXP-1000K14XE 1000W but i have never heard of this brand so im kinda iffy about buying it.

please let me know what you guys think if you have any suggestions i'm open.

A quality 750W PSU is plenty for 2 7970's and your Intel CPU.

As far as quality PSU's. You cannot go wrong with Corsair, though there are manyother quality brands out there and perhaps cheaper.

Check out the PSU guide for 'approved' models.

Grab the CoolerMaster V850, it's a Seasonic KM3 and rocks the house, socks, boots, shoes, slippers, sandals, and pretty much everything else too.
Plus last time I checked it was $110 with MIR from newegg and amazon.

So it seems like it has been established that 750W is more than enough even if i were to run my current vid card in SLI mode which is good new because now i can spend an extra few dollars on quality. which all of the psu that you guys linked are good brands. actually gonna check microcenter flyer i have one like 40 minutes from my house =P

Last edited:
Sorry to re-open this thread but i am gonna head to Micro Center tommorow evening to pick up a power supply i took everyones advice and am not gonna go overboard im gonna stick with the 750-850W range. However i am having trouble deciding which is the best bang for my buck for example Im looking at corsairs PSU's and they have about 10 different models all 750W and that is where i begin getting confused.

The max i want to spend is 150$ honestly even that is kinda high for me right now but i understand when it come to PSU's the saying "You get what you pay for" really comes to light. The other thing i am looking is modular it doesnt have to be fully modular, partially modular is fine.

below is the link to the search for powers supplys at micro center in the 700-900W range if someone can pls check it out and tell me if u see any good deal it would be much appreciated.

Micro Center PSU search

at the same time to make you guys feel like im just asking you to hand me everything on a silver platter here are some that i saw whille searching the caught my eye

Enthusiast Series TX850M 850 Watt High Performance Modular ATX Power Supply (there is also a 750W in this model which is only about 10$ cheaper)

OCZ Technology Silencer Mk III 850W Modular Power Supply

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G 750 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
(I have owned EVGA GPU's in the past and seem like they have good quality also 10 year warranty is nice)

LEPA G Series G850-MAS 850W Modular ATX Power Supply
(Never heard of this Brand i googled it and it seems to have good reviews there is also a 750W by the same company but it cost a little more.)

Again any help is appreciated and thanks.

You'll get power supplies cheaper online then you will at Microcenter, especially when you factor in tax.

You are definitely not going to beat the deal on the XFX I posted. That PSU should be good for 5-6 years.

If you want to use your entire budget to get something high end, go with the V850 that Bobnova posted.

The only way to find a better unit for the price than that V850 is to buy a used review unit from someone like OW (or me, but I sold my V850 :p).

Best bang/buck on that Microcenter list is this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/404598/SuperNOVA_NEX750B_750_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply
Largely because it's low buck and functional. Not great.
Don't pay $20 for an extra 5 years of warranty you won't use. Unless EVGA is being really shiesty (wouldn't put it past 'em, but I doubt it) the guts are identical.

oh wow i went to newegg and just out of curiosity and placed the v850 in the cart to checkout and they finally added will call pickup at the warehouse in edison NJ i can walk there lol now it is between the xfx and v850 seem in terms of quality the v850 is definatley a better psu but the xfx is a better bargain

@l0t3k

What Microcenter do you live by? I'm looking at Microcenter's website under "hot ad deals"

I see five power supplies there. (link)

CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply 89.99 which I believe is a CWT built unit.

Don't feel bad saving $60.
The 850 will be quieter and save a tiny bit on the power bill (plus I happen to love fully modular PSUs), but either one will do you well.

Personally I'd spend the extra $60, but you'll be just fine with the XFX.

@dudley i live near the one in patterson but now that i found out the newegg warehouse allows me to just go there and pick stuff up it makes it alot easier to order i was avoiding having it shipped because if it was DoA then i would have to go through the hassle of shipping it back out etc. @Bob i agree with u about the extra $60 it would be worth it in the long run and yah worse case scenario i can go with the XFX but as of right now the 850 definatley sounds like the best option

The only way to find a better unit for the price than that V850 is to buy a used review unit from someone like OW (or me, but I sold my V850 :p)

Mine'll be in the classies next week. If I can talk myself out of keeping it ;)

Back