• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on what to upgrade from fx-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I am being offered 125$ for an FX-6300, a Biostar 760g (that doesnt allow my processor to hit the 4.1 clock speed) 4gb generic ddr3 1333.

I want to upgrade to at least a true 4 core processor and motherboard for 150$
(the fx-6300 is actually 3 cores)

The plus side is, i have another 4gb stick and can wait to get 8gb again..but I also have a water cooler and have been successful getting an fx 8 series to 4.8.

I have a gtx 570, BenQ XL2420TE and the works for CounterStrike Global offe. (CS:GO).

Processor is an important part to this game, and i notice it dropping below 144fps once in a while.

Which processor and motherboard should I pick from this site with the buy a processor get a motherboard for free deal they have(40 dlollars off any motherboard)?

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx
^link to the site, best store EVER.

the deal is, 40$ off of any motherboard. So i could find one in the open box section at the store, for a little cheaper.

Please any input would help, I know nothing about the new AMD's.. this 6300 may be enough if it wasnt on this horrible motherboard...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138360

^that is the motherboard I have.. How horrible is it?

I only am looking for performance in CS:GO.. and ANY input would be helpful.. I play the game on LOW(preferred) and am using window 8(should i update windows 8) i installed windows 8 ultimate(legit copy, and downloaded from microsoft, burned image, and installed fresh) curious about windows 8.1 or any updates at all.turned them off after installation. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
That Biostar is a good door stop... Would be fine for a web surfing machine or something, but not much more.

And that chip, unless faulty IS 6 cores, it's just 3 modules with 2 cores apiece.

Anyway, 8350 is pretty much the best upgrade if you stay AMD. I personally would rock the 6300 and get a decent 990FX board.

With that budget going to an 8 core FX system is not realistic. I took a look at your possible combos and I would not expect you to be able to get any kind of an OC with the boards on either the FX 8350 or FX8320 with anything less then the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board. That is $235 to $265 ..... the other boards just won't cut it once you add volts to your OC and in the end you will be disappointed.

the deal is, 40$ off of any motherboard. So i could find one in the open box section at the store, for a little cheaper.
That deal only applies to new motherboards not open box deals. At least it doesn't apply in the Microcenter in Patterson NJ.
i notice it dropping below 144fps once in a while.
You notice it how by using monitoring software of some sort or you actually see a difference in the way the game plays when the Fps drops below 144? I never have played counterstrike but I can't believe you would notice while playing if the Fps dropped to even 90 fps, if they dropped to say 20 then I'd say yeah you have an issue but below 144, really? What resolutions are you playing at?

To the point keep the 6300 and get a better motherboard you don't need a "real 4 core" processor. Like Bassnut said you're not going to get an Fx 83xx setup have it run well.

So, what exactly is your goal?

You say you want a mobo, cpu, and RAM combination that is less than 150 bucks. However, it seems to play that game fine at low settings if you're hitting 144fps. Considering the fact that I don't like my games below 60fps then you're fine on that. :thup:

Cores are also really weird. There are true four cores (modules) out there such as an FX 8 or Intel i7, but you'll be paying out the nose for the Intel solution because you need a mobo to go with it. At least sticking with the AMD side will save you the money. But you have six threads; that should be able to handle that game.

As for RAM, you should have at minimum 4GB and that's pushing it. You might get away with 4GB now because its a 2012 game, but eventually it will become a bottleneck. I'd personally keep the RAM you have.

Your most expensive option would be to replace both the CPU and MOBO (if you were trying for something better). What you can do instead is sell the MOBO only and keep the RAM. Take the money that you got from the board and put it with the 25 extra and see if you can find a board that has a higher chipset than the 760g.

There is a 970 chipset MSI board (Full ATX mind you) for 70 bucks on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679

There is another biostar there too that's cheaper. It's even rated for a TDP of 140 Watts (says the site).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138372

NOTE: Above boards may have been on sale at the time of writing.

And yes, upgrade to 8.1. I think it's free for Windows 8 users isn't it?

Last edited:
DO WHAT???

Please any input would help, I know nothing about the new AMD's.. this 6300 may be enough if it wasnt on this horrible motherboard (that doesnt allow my processor to hit the 4.1 clock speed)...DrumRoll. NO freeken doubt the board is the problem. And maybe cooling since I cannot see you state what cooling you have.

But this is the part I do NOT understand at all. You ae going to sell AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX that costs $119.99 and include your motherboard and your ram and sell it all for $125.00 and then try and buy another cpu and another motherboard for only $150.00?

That is not logical. Well surely not by my money logic; even practical logic either. You are repeating the same pattern again where you buy TOO CHEAP a board and wonder why the FX processor will not zoom on up there. That is similar to most governments in that they do the same thing over and over, YET they expect different results. History says NO to such shett.

You need a NON-MSI mobo.

Something like this >> ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard >> On sale at NewEgg $134.99.

Later get some good cooling for case and for cpu itself.

Please any input would help, I know nothing about the new AMD's.. this 6300 may be enough if it wasnt on this horrible motherboard (that doesnt allow my processor to hit the 4.1 clock speed)...DrumRoll. NO freeken doubt the board is the problem. And maybe cooling since I cannot see you state what cooling you have.

But this is the part I do NOT understand at all. You ae going to sell AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX that costs $119.99 and include your motherboard and your ram and sell it all for $125.00 and then try and buy another cpu and another motherboard for only $150.00?

That is not logical. Well surely not by my money logic; even practical logic either. You are repeating the same pattern again where you buy TOO CHEAP a board and wonder why the FX processor will not zoom on up there. That is similar to most governments in that they do the same thing over and over, YET they expect different results. History says NO to such shett.

You need a NON-MSI mobo.

Something like this >> ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard >> On sale at NewEgg $134.99.

Later get some good cooling for case and for cpu itself.

Obviously math isn't the original posters strong suit. His numbers don't add up at all.

@chrisjames61:

Seriously. That's all you could do? Insult the guy. Not even attempt to figure something out or help the guy. Look we all make mistakes, and while it seems like it's simple to us the OP specifically stated he doesn't know much about this subject. Sure insult someone you know, but that seems kind of a low blow.

@chrisjames61:

Seriously. That's all you could do? Insult the guy. Not even attempt to figure something out or help the guy. Look we all make mistakes, and while it seems like it's simple to us the OP specifically stated he doesn't know much about this subject. Sure insult someone you know, but that seems kind of a low blow.

It was a joke. That being said, some people need to think things through. If you disagree that is your prerogative and I respect that.

Thank you. I'm less irate now than I was before (NOTE: this was not just because of you). Hindsight is 20/20, right? I don't disagree with your statement, but we as humans tend to think in the now or tend to mess up in heavily clouded areas. He has some options now, let's see if this goes anywhere.

Thank you. I'm less irate now than I was before (NOTE: this was not just because of you). Hindsight is 20/20, right? I don't disagree with your statement, but we as humans tend to think in the now or tend to mess up in heavily clouded areas. He has some options now, let's see if this goes anywhere.

No problem. I know it came off as sarcastic. It is just that these threads are started all the time and guys like rgone have to repeat the same things. I really meant no offense.

i have a water cooler, just got a gtx 580. and literally only performance upgrade in BF4. honestly this board toots along. 100+ frames on high constant. but only 140-200 in cs on low. im gonna find a mobo and be done with it.

i have a water cooler, just got a gtx 580. and literally only performance upgrade in BF4. honestly this board toots along. 100+ frames on high constant. but only 140-200 in cs on low. im gonna find a mobo and be done with it.

A real mobo that lets you overclock the poop out of the 6300 will get you the performance you're looking for out of CS:GO.

Back