• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building gaming comp $700-800 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IRLwizard

Registered
hi guys. i am building a gaming a computer from scratch for the first time. it is for fps games like h1z1, rust, csgo...and the new fallout 4.

i would appreciate if you guys could help me with advice, suggestions, and what to watch out for when building my computer.
what i am i am really worried about is, buying all of these parts, building the computer, and if it does not turn on or if something is wrong i wont know what is wrong or what to do.

i already have the case which is ...
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (CC-9011030-WW) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Cube High Airflow Cube Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=corsair_midtower-_-11-139-032-_-Product

i was also thinking about this for the monitor since i read somewhere that 144 hz is better for fps?
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

any recommendations please?

For $800, you're not going to be able to build a system that can push a 144Hz monitor, regardless if it's part of the budget or not.

Do you have a copy of Windows? What about a keyboard and mouse? Do you have a monitor right now, or do you need one?

If you have all of the above, assuming a 1080p monitor, I'd run with this.

If not, this is what I'd get, leaving you with ~$111 to spend on the keyboard and mouse.

For $800, you're not going to be able to build a system that can push a 144Hz monitor, regardless if it's part of the budget or not.

Do you have a copy of Windows? What about a keyboard and mouse? Do you have a monitor right now, or do you need one?

If not, this is what I'd get, leaving you with ~$111 to spend on the keyboard and mouse.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TV98NG

yes, z87. Its a good board. Unless youre SERIOUS into cs go, dont sweat the 144hz monitor.
Same(ish) stuff... different piles. The difference between the two builds performance wise is near nil (300Mhz on the CPU and the 970/290 perform similarly). However, DLAW's build will allow for overclocking (albeit not a ton because its a 3 phase non heatsinked board). If you want a more robust overclocking platform, take Bob's build and put a 4670K on it and you are right back at $806.

MIR rebates included in the price at PCPP... BLEH.

thanks everyone! i appreciate the help. okay im going with that first build. what monitor should i get? you say that i cant build a system with my budget that pushes a 144 hz monitor, so it will have no effect on that first build you mentioned or give me any advantage with that first build? if not then can anyone reccomend a monitor with the first build Dlaw put together please?

and i need more parts for the computer right? like a cooler or fan? and a wireless antenna?...am i missing anything?
is there a computer part that gives me faster ping or internet connection?

Id still get that 144Hz monitor... there are plenty of games that will push past 60 FPS at 1080p with a 970, and it has adaptive vsync so, it will work out well.

Grab a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (~$30) for the cooler. This will take that chip well past 4Ghz if you decide to overclock (if not, look at Bob's build).

I do not believe the motherboard selected has built in wireless, no. If you want the fastest internet connection, don't use wireless.

Back