• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help figuring out what to buy. (trying to run 4k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HANDxOFxGOD

Registered
Disclaimer!!! --- I'm asking for a lot of input and analysis here. If you don't feel like reading this post in it's entirety, don't! I don't want posts saying "figure it out yourself."

So, I just got $1000 from my Dad. Nice.

Ok, so here's the deal I want to be able to run the latest and greatest at 2160p. (4K) Games like Shadow of Mordor, DA: Inquisition, Battlefield 4... and upcoming games like Batman: Arkham Knight, MGS V, GTA V, and The Witcher 3. I want to be able to run them at least on high, if not Ultra. I need to update my rig a little bit, and get a monitor/tv.

I'm looking for about a 40" monitor/TV rated at 2160p, at least 60Hz refresh rate, and LED or whatever is good enough for color contrast and whatnot. Can I manage something like that for something around $450-$600? I know really nice 28" 4K monitors go for around $400 - $500.

That's one part.

Now, my PC is pretty awesome for a price/performance balanced PC. You can see it in my signature but I'll list the main components here.
i5-3570k
750 watt psu
ASRock z77 extreme 4
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
8 GB DDR3

Here is my main technical question, however. Will an i5-3570k bottleneck a pair of GTX 970's in SLI? If not, that's exactly what I plan on doing to power this new monitor I'd be buying. (recommendations on monitors would be awesome) If not, the only reasonable option I have would be to buy a new/used i7-3770k on ebay, since it'll fit my mobo, and overclock it to death.

I appreciate any thoughts.

P.S. - I'm a senior college student majoring in engineering. I guess my dad thought I was broke, but he doesn't know just how much money I've been saving and putting into my Scottrade account. I can afford all this, but knew I would feel really bad if I spent this money on myself like that. Now, not so much.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I'd run the 3570K with the pair of 970's, I doubt it'll bottleneck them at 4K.
What cooler do you have? Get a good one and just OC the 3570K :)

Grab a monitor, not a TV, unless you plan to use it for things besides your computer.
If you're really getting in to the specs of the display, look for an IPS with local dimming.

Now that's what I like to hear!

I'm not OC'ing my CPU at the moment, just GPU.. so I don't have any fancy coolers for my i5...

However, I'll probably buy a Cooler Master Hyper 212 if I go through with this whole upgrade for 4K Resolution thing.

I'd run the 3570K with the pair of 970's, I doubt it'll bottleneck them at 4K.
What cooler do you have? Get a good one and just OC the 3570K :)

Grab a monitor, not a TV, unless you plan to use it for things besides your computer.
If you're really getting in to the specs of the display, look for an IPS with local dimming.

Agreed on all accounts.

Really do your research on the screens, and I agree with making sure it is a monitor to make sure you get the proper refresh rates etc.

ok, after looking into it a bit further... I don't think I'd be making a smart move if I jumped into 4K using a budget monitor.

I think I'm just going to go with an ASUS PB278Q or a Qnix QX2710.

Do you guys have any input on either of these 1440p monitors?

Both are well reviewed and similar in features in price. Get the cheaper of the two I'd say... Both have same static contrast, same resolution, same refresh rate (albeit the QNIX is known to be a good monitor for overclocking), same... pretty much everything really. (Just looked at prices, for the 100$ difference... get the qnix imo)

DEFINITELY take some of that money and at least get a good AIO water cooling unit, that alone can increase your performance very well.

bob4933 - what does AIO stand for? I'm just going to get the Hyper 212 for my CPU. (I forgot to mention that I need a new PSU as well.. My 750 Watt is pushing 6-7 years now.)

I appreciate all the input from you guys! I decided on the QNIX QX2710 for $300 -

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/140934439651?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's a glossy finish, comes with a 1 year warranty, and guaranteed no dead pixels (pixel perfect screen)

I'd say that's a pretty good buy.

Thanks guys!

bob4933 - what does AIO stand for? I'm just going to get the Hyper 212 for my CPU. (I forgot to mention that I need a new PSU as well.. My 750 Watt is pushing 6-7 years now.)

I appreciate all the input from you guys! I decided on the QNIX QX2710 for $300 -

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/140934439651?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's a glossy finish, comes with a 1 year warranty, and guaranteed no dead pixels (pixel perfect screen)

I'd say that's a pretty good buy.

Thanks guys!

AIO is an All In One water cooler. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're pushing for every last MHz.
Ones worth having are $100+.

Nice decision on the QNIX :)

For the PSU grab yourself an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W, but be sure to register it so you get the 10yr warranty.
And after that, you should still have enough cash for SLI :thup:

Ha, thanks.

That's exactly the PSU I've been looking at. It was the first thing to come up on Newegg with the "best ratings" filter. I'ts like $115 though. That seems a little steep. I do like the modular cables though.

Do you think I should go for SLI, or would a single MSI GTX 970 OC'd to about 1450 MHz be sufficient for these games at 1440p?

I would be trying to run at a mix of high/ultra with AA at 0 or x2 max.

I guess I'll hold off on SLI until I can try out the monitor and see if I'm not content with the graphics settings and fps.

To be honest though, even if I am content, I bet in a couple months that I'd just be itching for an upgrade. I swear, video games and my PC is the only thing I spend my money on these days. (Besides food, gas, and the occasional book)

EDIT - To be honest, I think I'll hold off on buying a new PSU for a little bit longer too. (I'll definitely need a new one if i'm going to sli 970s though.)

This hobby is too damn expensive. JUST GIVE US THE MATRIX ALREADY.

(as a side note. If I could have anything in the world... it would be a video game system that plugs into your brain like the matrix or Sword Art Online, and then play as a Jedi/Sith in that world.)

When you look at the performance of that PSU (Literally the best gold rated 750W on the market) and the competitor's pricing, it isn't as expensive :)
Throw in a 10 year warranty? Even better.

If you're wanting to max out games with AA go for SLI.
One 970 won't quite get there at good FPS without dropping a little.
You can absolutely wait till you get the monitor and see how it performs though, it's easy to add the second GPU later :thup:

Heh, PC gaming has always been expensive :p

I'll update in a week or so after I get the monitor and try a couple games on it.

I know this isn't a week later, but quick question. If I were to get a second GTX 970, would you recommend a blower type fan? I really like my MSI, and would really like to get a second if not just for consistency, but I'm not sure if it would be a smart idea to dump so much heat into the case.

Thanks

I, personally, would base that on what case you're using, what your ambient conditions are, and what fan setup you have.
That said, 970's sip power, so you won't have THAT much heat to take care of.

I don't know how I went so long without a 1440p monitor. This QNIX QX2710 is from heaven. The resolution is simply amazing and my GTX 970 has no problem maxing games at an acceptible framerate. Shadow of Mordor is simply beautiful. So much detail in even the really far away objects. I just started playing the new DLC and I can't help but just be amazed at how lush everything is. I also tried that MGS V Ground Zeroes and it's simply beautiful. I'm really happy about the performance too.

Thanks for helping me decide. I love it.

The QX2710 is a great monitor as long as you get one with no issues. A lot of them are poorly constructed requiring modifications to remove terrible backlight bleed or have a lot of dead pixels. Glad you are happy with it. Now see how far you can up the refresh rate :)

Hey guys... long time no post. I'm just here to update.

Yeah, mage_x, I turned it up to 96 Hz a long time ago and it didn't give me color issues whatsoever. I didn't even try pushing it to 120 because I figured that 96 is more that enough to be honest.

My single 970 has been awesome with 1440p. The whole 3.5 gb vram thing worries me a little bit though because games like the witcher 3 might require more than that to max. If not, I'm totally going to SLI.

The first thing I really need to do at the moment, however, is change my PSU. It's pushing 8 years or something. I also need to change my case because it's proprietary with the case.

I'm going to post a case, psu, and cpu cooler. I'd just like to know if you guys think these are good enough for a PC that could be running 2 970s in SLI. thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352037

Any recommendations would be appreciated... but I think these parts look good enough.

Get the hyper 212 EVO. Its newer and I believe slightly better.

Psu is Great choice.

Case is your choice. ;)

Thanks for the input. I had done a quick Google check and people said the 212 plus and the 212 evo are basically the same and to just go with the cheaper one. If the Evo is better, I'll definitely go with it... but if they're the same, the 15 bucks I'll save from the rebate will go towards a tube of arctic silver.

I recall it being better, but by a degree or so. Look up some reviews and see (I would but I'm mobile)...

Back