• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help figuring out what to buy. (trying to run 4k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a comment on the case, if you do like that R4, get yourself a couple of decent 120mm fans to mount up top. If going Sli on the gpu's and if they are have non reference design heatsinks on them, you're going to be dumping a lot of heat into the case. Get as much airflow through the case as possible.

Yeah, I know gram doesn't stack. I did hear that DX12 could possibly alowb it to stack. If that's true then I would definitely get a second 970.. but I'm very skeptical that it's the case.

Earthdog, You're right. The evo is Mariinsky better because of where the copper heat pipes touch the cpu. In the 212+ the contact copper heappipes are separated by aluminum. In the evo, the contact surface is nothing but copper.

The case should do well, that's what I have a well as SLI 970's and with the 2 fans upfront and 1 in the rear everything stayed decently cool and quiet.

The technology that Nvidia is planning to release that will use the RAM independently on each card will not be compatible with current version of SLI. I cannot find the article, but I do remember reading about it recently.

Maybe while nVida is putzing around with this, AMD (if they stay in the GPU biz) will gain an advantage if they can get their Mantle tech to market first.

That would light a fire under nVidia for sure. Kinda like AMD lit a fire under Intel with x64.

Maybe while nVida is putzing around with this, AMD (if they stay in the GPU biz) will gain an advantage if they can get their Mantle tech to market first.

That would light a fire under nVidia for sure. Kinda like AMD lit a fire under Intel with x64.

Yeah that didn't work out to well for them in the long run though lol

Mantle has so far been a flop, sadly. It's been out for nearly two years and few titles use it or use it well. I don't see it gaining much more traction soon. But here is to hoping I am wrong.

Mantle has so far been a flop, sadly. It's been out for nearly two years and few titles use it or use it well. I don't see it gaining much more traction soon. But here is to hoping I am wrong.

I'd call it a success. They convinced both Khronos (OpenGL) and Microsoft (DirectX) that the APIs really need to be much lower level to get rid of the stupid 200 MB driver packages. Now Khronos is pushing Vulkan, which Intel is already implementing.

If you can't convince somebody to meet you in the middle, run so far past them that they have to take a few steps in the direction you went. Maybe you'll just have to run right back, but you made them move.

I do agree there are successes because of it. Mantle itself, as far as market integration, really hasn't gained a lot of ground.

Or in other words, Mantle's goal wasn't to move others with it or because of it, but to run into the lead itself. I'd call what happened a pleasant accident because there are quite a few positives to Mantle that can be used in other places as you referenced. God bless open source and sharing, yes?!

Back