• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help finding a USB-C Dock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aerpelding

Registered
I wasn't sure where to ask this, so i figured i'd try here.

I work from home 80% of the time, so i'm looking for a USB-C dock to plug my Dell work laptop into. I have a Dell WD15 USB C dock at my work office, and was thinking of ordering one for home however for my home office i want it to be compatible with my new Macbook Pro as well. I've done some research, and it seems as though the Dell WD15 "works", but it's not certified and it doesn't charge the MBP at full speed. And I haven't been able to get any information on what dock would work for both laptops.

Are there any third party docks that would work for both my Dell and the MBP?

So when you plug into the dock are you using the laptop as you would a desktop workstation with an external keyboard, mouse and monitor?

Sorry, should have included that info.

Only power, Ethernet, and external monitor as an extended display.

Just want a simple one plug in solution vs all three.

Okay, after looking at pics of the Dell WD15 USB C dock it's a different type of docking station than what I am used to thinking about when I here the term. The docking stations I am familiar with actually mate directly with the computer (like hand in glove) instead of connecting via a USB cable.

So I take it that both laptops can be powered via their USB C port such that their plug in OEM power packs are not needed? Sorry, I know this is not yet answering your question but I'm just trying to bend my mind around this via fact gathering.

Edit: So I answered my own question. https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/charge-the-battery-apdbc13fd966/mac

"Connect your MacBook Pro to a power outlet using the included USB-C Charge Cable and 61W or 87W USB-C Power Adapter."

Since USB is a universal standard which includes a voltage output standard I would think the Dell docking station would work or for that matter, any similar product that will supply at least 87W of power.

Last edited:
After looking more into it, i found the Plugable UD-CA1A, which aparently works well with the MBP. I just need to make sure it'll work with my Dell if not then i may stick with the Dell WD15. The fact that it supposedly doesn't charge the MBP at it's full rate isn't a big deal since i'll be using the dock 99% of the time with my work laptop.

You're correct, with USB C there's no need for the old school style docks. My company recently upgraded to laptops that no longer have the dock plug underneath so the old stations were replaced with the WD15 with our new laptops.

Last edited:
I think it's normal for USB charging not to charge as fast as the dedicated charger. All my phones and tablets are all that way but I don't own a laptop that charges via USB.

Back