• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help for new build with thunderbolt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

janice1

ok so i'm in the process of upgrading my recording studio. we just updated sound cards to a uad Apollo thunderbolt because they now work with windows. i thought that it would work with usb 3.1 gen2 but it is just thunderbolt. right now i have a amd fx build and it seems that i won't be able to get a thunderbolt card for it.

with that said what is a budget build motherboard/cpu with thunderbolt? i'm not to concerned about speed because DAWs really aren't to demanding. i really just need thunderbolt for windows.

here is a link to Windows Compatibility for the sound card. it says thunderbolt 3

the mother board you posted doesn't say thunderbolt but usb c type

- - - Updated - - -

also i'm thinking more around an i5 i do do a bit of video editing. whats the best bang for the buck right now?

Here is the connector on the motherboard.

Attachments

• TB.JPG
    TB.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
ok so i'm in the process of upgrading my recording studio. we just updated sound cards to a uad Apollo thunderbolt because they now work with windows. i thought that it would work with usb 3.1 gen2 but it is just thunderbolt. right now i have a amd fx build and it seems that i won't be able to get a thunderbolt card for it.

with that said what is a budget build motherboard/cpu with thunderbolt? i'm not to concerned about speed because DAWs really aren't to demanding. i really just need thunderbolt for windows.

So help me understand your problem better. Does the uad Apollo thunderbolt you speak of physically not connect to a USB 3.1 port or does it connect but not work? You also need to have a thunderbolt controller chip on the motherboard for the USB 3.1 port to work with plugin thunderbolt equipment.

Look at this: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5478#ov

Back