• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help in choosing my MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DharkLight

Registered
So Im about to make my first mid-range AMD gaming rig and im stuck on deciding what motherboard to buy and here are the ones im trying to decide on:

1: Gigabyte 990FXA UD5
2:Asrock Fatality 990FX
3:Asus Sabertooth 990FX

any suggestions anyone? if you know some Pros and Cons on these boards please do inform me or if you have a board that you can suggest too please feel free to post here.

my planned build is either use a phenom II 1090t or fx8150 for the CPU.
2xHIS iceq turbo 6770
DDR3 1600 8gb of RAM
650w PSU or should I go 850w?
Corsair H100 (If i learn more about OC'ing then ill buy it)
Hitachi 7200 1Tb

any suggestion is appreciated thanks in advance :D

this is my first post here YAY! lol
been reading about how to overclock in the forums here :shock:

I'd recommend the Crosshair V Formula from ASUS, make sure you've got the latest bios in it and you're ready to go for the FX 8150 x8. I know I'm sure pleased with that combination.
Bye all means go with the 850W PSU, it's better to have it and not use it than to not have it and need it ! Definitely go with the Corsair H-100 even if your not OCing, ain't no such thing as too low temps.

thanks for the suggestion, I'm having second thoughts with CHV since I'm only doing 2-way xfire, and got a lot of questions coz im just starting out building my own, hmm will the 850w suffice for the xfire gpus I'm planning? and one other thing I read somewhere about vdrops in 990fx with the 8150's does it also happen to the CHV mobo? or should I stick with 1090t for now until they improve the BD cpus more?

I've been out of the oc'ing game for a while, but here's my advice:
-PSU - If budget becomes an issue, look at the quality before jumping on the huge wattage bandwagon. It looks like BD uses massive power when pushed so an 850 may be wise, but I'm sure a good 650 would also be fine.

-Mobo - everyone around here seems to love the sabertooth. I've been building system after system around ASRock boards with great luck so take that for what it's worth. They're a great value imho.

-CPU - I feel like there's more to BD than straight numbers/benchmark results. Its single threaded performance is poor compared to the competition, but in actual use it seems very quick and keeps things running smoothly. I just built a BD system at work and am also building a 2500k system for myself this weekend; I'm very interested to see how they compare. I've seen others on this forum post that BD "feels" smoother than 2600k & 2500k based systems. Unfortunately, I was only able to use BD natively with windows for a brief period of time but it was *fast*. Now it's running VMs like a beast.

Video Cards - unless you already have them, I'd suggest going to single more powerful card. It should be less taxing on the power supply/mobo and will probably provide better performance.

for the PSU i have right now its an antec 650w
to be specific its this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044.

GPU: I dont have those yet but its what im planning to but ill buy it one at a time since i need my board first and CPU. so its better if I just buy one Video Card thats like a 6870?

CPU: right now i have a Ph II 1035t and its an OEM paired with an ASUS m4a78lt-m board OEM also so i cant do overclocking on it, the reason why im buying a new board and cpu and graphics card.

MOBO: my price range is $180+ but to not exceed $200 in case i might need a new PSU. Asus Sabertooth 990fx is a possible good choice.

RAM: it all depends on what mobo i decide to buy and ill just have to skim through the QVL to find what would work.

thanks for the insights. if there are others who read this and has more opinions pls do post lol :D i got like a week still until i buy the components :clap:

to make it short i have an Asus CG1330-05 and i upgraded my PSU and case and just planning to rebuild a new whole system lolz :confused:

well seems no one reads my thread anymore but if someone does: after further studying and reading alot of forums i have finally decided to go with the asrock fatality board, an H100, a single 6770, a 64gb corsair ssd and a phenom II 1090t will be buying these stuff this coming Black friday and hopefully get a good deal online.:clap:

Back