• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help matching Intel CPU, FSB and DDR2 Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatG

Hello

I am new to this.

I am experiencing a BSOD issue and I think it is related to my bios settings as it crashes even while in the bios after a 1-2 minutes (But only after 1st power up, like a cold boot in the mornings, after the BSOD and reboot it works fine till I shutdown at night and the next day power up and the same things happens)

This is what I have:

CPU: Intel Q9550 2.83ghz (Bus speed 1333mhz)

MB: Biostar T-Power i45 v5.1 (latest BIOS update)
MB: FSB 1600(OC)/1333/1066
MB: Dual-channel DDR2 -1200(OC)/1066(OC)/800

RAM: OCZ DDR2-85000 1066mhz (4x 2GB modules)
RAM: EPP 5-5-5-15
RAM: 2.1 - 2.3 volts

Current BIOS Settings =
DRAM tCL = 5 (was 15)
DRAM tRP = 5 (was 0)
DRAM tRCD = 5 (was 2)
DRAM tRAS = 15
DRAM tWR = 6
DRAM tRFC = 54
DRAM tWTR = 3
DRAM tRRD = 3
DRAM tRTP = 3

CPU = 1.208
NB/SB = 1.096
DDR = 2.3v
FSB = 1.104

Ratio CMOS settings = 8.5 (Greyed out)
CPU Freq = 333
Overclock retry count = 3
FSB (Bsel) to northbridge latch (FSB 1333)
FSB Compensation fine tune = Disabled
DRAM frequency = DDR2 1066mhz
Enhance mode = auto

I am not looking to pump up the CPU speed, I just want all the speeds to match and be optimised.

What settings do I need to change in the bios to get that?

Many thanks in advance (I googled this stuff but it gets complicated for me)

Last edited:
Hello

I am new to this.

I am experiencing a BSOD issue

This is what I have:

CPU: Intel Q9550 2.83ghz (Bus speed 1333mhz)
MB: Biostar T-Power i45 v5.1 supporting:

2.83, that means you are at 333x8.5. You shouldn't be having any BSOD issues with that. Give us some more details. What kind of RAM, what speed, what is the BSOD error?

Sorry I did not finish typing everything out the first time and hit TAB and enter and it posted before I finsihed

I am no pro, but your settings look fine(as far as I can tell). I am thinking it might be a hardware problem with the board if it works fine all day, but only BSODs on first boot. You could try to "set optimized defaults" in the BIOS and see what happens.

With the FSB currently at 333MHz, and using the current 1333 FSB to NB Latch (333/1066 NB strap), the effective FSB : DRAM ratio is 5:8 for a DRAM frequency of 1066MHz. With 4 x 2GB of RAM installed, try bumping the NB voltage to 1.2 - 1.25V (+.128 - .178V from the default of 1.072V), and FSB voltage (VTT) to 1.2V (+.096V over the default of 1.104V). After making any of the above changes, make sure to run Memtest86+ prior to attempting to boot into Windows.

@redduc900

Thanks dude, i looked around a bit in the bios for the voltage suggestions.

There are options there but not the exact increments that you suggested.

There is no option for NB voltage. just chipset voltage, is this the same thing?

What will increasing the voltages change?

If you can, Please help me understand what happens by changing the voltages.

Thanks

@Headstand

Thanks dude, I tried the optimal settings but it still happens, do you think the board could be faulty, even though it works 100% after the BSOD? It's still under warranty, so I could take it back.

Last edited:
The Chipset Voltage option in your BIOS = NB Voltage, and FSB Voltage = VTT (FSB Termination Voltage). Increasing vNB will compliment the fact that all 4 DIMM slots are populated w/ 2GB modules, and bumping the VTT to 1.2V should help compensate for higher than normal noise on the lines. After making the voltage changes, you can view the real-time voltages by saving / exiting the BIOS, then re-entering the BIOS - Voltage Configuration / Hardware Health Configuration screen. Also download Real Temp and post the VID of your chip, as shown on the Settings page. Then open CPU-Z to the CPU tab, and monitor the loaded Vcore while running Prime. If the Core Voltage (Vcore) as shown by CPU-Z drops below the VID, then you'll need to bump the Vcore in the BIOS which results in a value at least equal to the VID.

Last edited:
The Chipset Voltage option in your BIOS = NB Voltage, and FSB Voltage = VTT (FSB Termination Voltage). Increasing vNB will compliment the fact that all 4 DIMM slots are populated w/ 2GB modules, and bumping the VTT to 1.2V should help compensate for higher than normal noise on the lines. After making the voltage changes, you can view the real-time voltages by saving / exiting the BIOS, then re-entering the BIOS - Voltage Configuration screen.

I agree but it doesn't seem right does it? Regardless if he has all 4 slots filled at stock settings he shouldnt be having any issues at all. Something else is going on here.... or the mobo is bad.

Please check your temps and your PSU voltages and make sure youre ok there.

Back