• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP - Most PITA Windows 7 install in x79 build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchiefin29

Registered
So I am having the hardest time downloading windows in my new x79 build.

-i7 3930
-p9x79 pro motherboard
-2 kingston hyperx 120(raid 0 - marvel controller)
-2 WB Black 640(raid 0 - intel controller)

I set up both ray arrays using Ctrl+ I and Ctrl + M.

Then I proceeded to load the operating system (windows 7 ultimate) via disc.

I then got an error stating I was missing a cd/dvd device driver.

I downloaded the most recent SATA/RST Driver - loaded it on to a flash drive.
Once I was loading the driver onto the new pc, I noticed I could only successfully DL the x86 version of the driver :-/ . I tried the others, but got a message stating that they were not recognized.

After loading the SATA driver, I was able to DL windows and after completion the PC restarts....

When the PC is starting up again, I then get a message stating that..

" windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

I've searched around but have found nothing solid...found a similar issue on Toms HArdware, but there was no resolution.

Never had this many issues loading windows...surely it is caused by raid 0 and x79 mb....let me know guys. Thanks!

Have you tried installing windows in a non raid configuration just to verify that you can in fact install and boot to windows successfully?

Yes, I just installed windows with all the raids removed and in AHCI mode. Installation was flawless/ no issues. I'm guessing there's an with a Raid driver or ssd firmware?

Any ideas?

That's exactly what I was going to point too, its most likely driver related. the only time I have had similar issues to what you are having are on servers when windows isn't provided with the correct raid card driver. Who makes that mother board you have?

I called Asus, they advised that I update the firmware on my Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD's.
As of now...I have updated the firmware and reconfigured the raid arrays.

- I'm thinking the issue is coming from the IRST driver....it is only allowing me to load the x86 version of the driver. This may be conflicting with my attempts to DL 64 bit windows 7?

The asus rep said that it shouldn't matter, but I dunno what else it could be...let's hope that this attempt with the firmware update works.

No luck with the firmware update...why is this so complicated...Asus rep also said that hes seeing all kinds of issues with z77 and x79 running raid 0?

I haven't heard about that yet but I'm still behind a chip set. do they only have the one driver online? maybe try an older version as well as update the Bios.

Win7 should natively support both the X79 and Marvell RAID controllers, without the need to manually supply the drivers. If you want to load the latest Intel x64 v11.7.0.1013 driverset during Setup, extract them to a thumb drive, CD/DVD, or partition from f6flpy-x64.zip

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows 7 *&DownloadType=

The same applies to the Marvell RAID x64 driverset...

Marvell SATA 6G Driver V1.2.0.1014 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_PRO/#download

Are you using an official Win7 DVD, and which controller is the DVD drive connected to?

Last edited:
Windows 7 is on a DVD. The DVD drive is connected to a SATA 3g connector. It is light blue on the p9x79 pro mb. The 2 x Western digital black 640 are connected to the (light grey or white) SATA 6g...closest to DIM slots. The 2 x Kingston HyperX SSD's are connected to the MARVEL RAID controlled SATA 6g slots furthest from DIM slots.

I did this because the Intel Raid controlled SATA 6g slots (where the WD blacks are connected) do not show up as a boot option in bios. The Marvel raid does show up as a boot option so I that is why I used them for the SSD's.

I will try the drives you have recommended. The IRST enterprise driver I used was from the ASUS site....I even tried 2 different versions with no luck.

Should I be using the MARVEL drivers since my SSD's are connected to the MARVEL controlled SATA slots and are also the drives Windows will be on?

I will try the MARVEL driver and report back.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I wouldn't recommend using the marvel controller for you boot drives as the tend to be much slower I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong) though I find that odd that the BIOS is not letting you boot from the Intel Raid controller. anybody else have thoughts on that?

From what I am reading...MARVEL is typically used for "data only" and usually not bootable, but I hear you can with the x79. The intel controller is definitely suppose to be faster. I need to figure out why it is not showing up as a boot option.

I managed to get the SSD's on the Intel SATA 6G ports/boot priority....still no luck getting windows installed.

Back