• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI MB w/FX-57

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robmypro

Hey guys, I am trying to OC my system to squeeze a little more performance out of this rig. Before I go too far I thought I'd ask the experts for some advice. Here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI (socket 939)
CPU: Athlon FX-57 (2.8 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
GPU: eVGA 9800 GTX+ Super Overclocked
Cooling: stock air cooling

So where do I start? Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere? Also, what should I expect? How far can I go with air cooling?

Thank you for the help!

:welcome: to OCF!

Yes! There is an excellent step-by-step for the s939 - the same one I used when I started OC'ing three years ago: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

This guide was written near the beginning of s939 so there is one amendment I would make to it: ignore the section on HT Link overclocking. Since that was written we've learned the HT Link is seldom, if ever, maxed out and overclocking it too far can lead to data corruption on the HDDs. The smart money says to turn down the HT Link to 3X for all the other tests. Then, when you're done OC'ing everything else come back to the HT Link and set the multiplier so the speed comes out close to 1000 MHz. For a Gigabyte board you should be good to 1100-1150 MHz so that slight an overclock is OK, but I wouldn't exceed that. :)

Please feel free to post back with questions or results of your tests! I still have fun OC'ing an s939 (even if it is someone else's) and there are a few tricks that can be used that are not mentioned in that guide. We have the advantage of a few more years experience with these systems. ;) I'm still running six of them 24/7 in my SETI farm - one of which is an FX-55 and another an FX-60. The only drawback is I'm an ASUS kinda' guy so I don't have any experience with that board. You'll need to find most of the settings unless someone else reports in that has experience with it ...

:welcome: to OCF!

Yes! There is an excellent step-by-step for the s939 - the same one I used when I started OC'ing three years ago: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

This guide was written near the beginning of s939 so there is one amendment I would make to it: ignore the section on HT Link overclocking. Since that was written we've learned the HT Link is seldom, if ever, maxed out and overclocking it too far can lead to data corruption on the HDDs. The smart money says to turn down the HT Link to 3X for all the other tests. Then, when you're done OC'ing everything else come back to the HT Link and set the multiplier so the speed comes out close to 1000 MHz. For a Gigabyte board you should be good to 1100-1150 MHz so that slight an overclock is OK, but I wouldn't exceed that. :)

Please feel free to post back with questions or results of your tests! I still have fun OC'ing an s939 (even if it is someone else's) and there are a few tricks that can be used that are not mentioned in that guide. We have the advantage of a few more years experience with these systems. ;) I'm still running six of them 24/7 in my SETI farm - one of which is an FX-55 and another an FX-60. The only drawback is I'm an ASUS kinda' guy so I don't have any experience with that board. You'll need to find most of the settings unless someone else reports in that has experience with it ...

Thanks for the link buddy. Exactly what I was looking for!

Back