• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help picking a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd stay away from anything in the ThermalTake range except for the ToughPower series. Are you running a separate power supply for your water cooler or everything off one?

I'm not sure what the draw is from a water cooling setup like yours.... Generally a 550W PSU is sufficient for any rig with a single video card, you need to look higher for SLI or Crossfire. This unit would probably do what you need, though I don't know for sure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073

Review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=266

What was the wattage of the unit that failed?

Last edited:
the psu powers everything, but if you tell me how I can use a 2nd PSU dedcated to the water cooling equiptment,I would be in your debt

the psu that Im replacing is this one

I lost my job, so price is a factor and I need an inexpensive PSU

Last edited:
A quality 550W unit is still PLENTY for his needs and any single GPU setup that is not an AMD FX system overclocked. A pump is not much -10-30W and fans are not too much as well.

We also have a sticky in the PSU section here that lists quality PSUs. Check that out for 500W that fits in your budget.

Id go this route: Corsair CSM550 $90.

A quality 550W unit is still PLENTY for his needs and any single GPU setup that is not an AMD FX system overclocked. A pump is not much -10-30W and fans are not too much as well.

We also have a sticky in the PSU section here that lists quality PSUs. Check that out for 500W that fits in your budget.

Id go this route: Corsair CSM550 $90.

I think that Rosewill unit is somewhat better value at just an additional $9. Its a Superflower based psu.

That's a good point. I'm lucky not to have experienced the pinch for a fair few years now.

The Rosewill unit is a somewhat more efficient than the Corsair. I still believe it's the better buy.

They are both 80 gold...you be hard pressed to make up a 1% difference quickly. The corsair isn't bad either so not sure why we are pushing for 'better' for person in his situation. Truthfully, there are likely others cheaper he can be just fine.with... Look at the psu list. ;)

Sorry, I didn't realize they'd refreshed the cx series. A few years ago they were only bronze rated.

If you have a Fry's Electronics nearby, you might be able to get your hands on a Delta built Antec for a decent price. I have a Basiq 430 that has been running my media server for 2 years with no issues. I can't say that I have seen OklahomaWolf put one to the test yet, but I would love to see it.

If you have a Fry's Electronics nearby, you might be able to get your hands on a Delta built Antec for a decent price. I have a Basiq 430 that has been running my media server for 2 years with no issues. I can't say that I have seen OklahomaWolf put one to the test yet, but I would love to see it.

No Fry's near Philadelphia, but there is a Microcenter close.

Also, this might be worth mentioning, I don't know exactly how well these low end Deltas will do with some abuse. Mine pretty much sits idle most of the time, unless Plex is streaming something to something somewhere. Even then, I don't think there is too much of a load on it.

Plex puts a pretty decent load on your CPU though. My 955be in my htpc will sit at 100% if streaming

Plex puts a pretty decent load on your CPU though. My 955be in my htpc will sit at 100% if streaming

I haven't checked my CPU usage, but it's just a stock E6600 in a P5QC, with 4 GB. The GPU is just some el cheapo ATI card, which is only there to get the board to boot. The only cables hooked up to it are network and power. I do all my admin via NoMachine.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Antec ditched FSP for the Basiq PSU's around 2008, and switched to Delta. I don't have a link right off hand, but from what I remember, there was supposed to be a D at the end of either the UPC or model number (can't remember which right off hand, but a current one should be Delta if this is true). I wonder what it would take to get a review of one of these on jonnyguru.com?:D

I picked up a Corsair CX750M for $65....think this is a good deal? I was told that the CX--M series was recently revised to be more power efficient.

Holy sh*t!!!!

My new PSU seemed to be working just went to the bathroom and heard a loud explosion...now its dead, and maybe my mobo or other things could be dead

/cry

Back