• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help please. Lag and freezing games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Night44

Registered
Hi,
Every since I added my Radeon RX 580 GB card I lag playing games.
I can't play W.O.W without lowering the settings and I still freeze.
So I just quit playing.
I have lag issues with Grounded as well as Valheim. Valheim will
freeze completely where I can't do anything. At times the game will
close. This isn't all the time and for the most part I can play.
My card is also running very hot. I have a fan in front of the pc and
one in back.
I tried to completely disable Windows Defender via regedit and
Autoruns to know avail. :mad::mad:
My memory is 1066 but set at 800. There are settings to adjust
but I'm uncertain about them. This memory is known not to
play nice with my motherboard without changing the settings.

In order to help you, we need way more information about your system. We know something about your video card and a little about your memory but even that is incomplete. Please provide more complete information.

What CPU are you running and with what cooler are you cooling it with?

What motherboard are you using?

How much total memory do you have installed?

What is the make, model and wattage of your PSU?

What is the make and model of case you are using? How many fans? How well ventilated is it? The problems you describe could be related to overheating after installing a more powerful video card.

What video card were you using before the Radeon RX 580? How much vram does your RX 580 have? 4gb? 8gb? What version of the driver video card driver are you using?

Are you running Windows 10?

All of that info is in my profile. Yes, Windows 10
Don't remember my case. I said it had 2 fans.
1 in front and 1 in back. Side isn't working atm.
Version of driver is 21.2.3 2/17/21
Don't know about vram atm
Previous card.
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD
4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hi,
Every since I added my Radeon RX 580 GB card I lag playing games.
I can't play W.O.W without lowering the settings and I still freeze.
So I just quit playing.
I have lag issues with Grounded as well as Valheim. Valheim will
freeze completely where I can't do anything. At times the game will
close.

Sounds like an unstable GPU core. I suggest more air flow! Are you OC'ing your GPU core (A.K.A. "SCLK")

Unstable "SCLK" usually causes a driver timeout error, a complete system crash with a freeze or a DirectX init failure error in mid-game.

No overclocking. Have stand fan on card.
Runs at 84 now. Before it was 100.
I know I need more air.
But still lags even at 84

And why did you disable Windows Defender in registry? I would not think Windows Defender would have any bearing on the problem. If you start mucking around in the registry there is a good chance you will wind up with an unstable machine.

Memory settings

Attachments

• Memory Settings2.jpg
    Memory Settings2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 122
  • Memory Settings.jpg
    Memory Settings.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 122
All of that info is in my profile. Yes, Windows 10
Don't remember my case. I said it had 2 fans.
1 in front and 1 in back. Side isn't working atm.
Version of driver is 21.2.3 2/17/21
Don't know about vram atm
Previous card.
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD
4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Your profile is not visible to us. You need to put your system info in a Signature.

I know how to edit the registry. It didn't take anyway.
I wanted it stopped. You can't just turn it off.
WD always uses resources and I have another AV.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Sorry. Thought you could see my About Me

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

It's in my signature.

Thanks for the Sig.

Your case only has two 80mm fans in push pull setup. As has already been suggested, and you have already taken action on by setting a fan to blow into the open case, you likely have an overheating problem with the video card. Your next purchase probably ought to be a high air flow case. Your whole rig is quite old and it's time to start upgrading components.

It's old because of lack of funds. Even with a
fan cooling the card it doesn't help. I was
hoping to get the memory set to 1066.
Before I added my card I was told it would
work with my setup.

As long as there is nothing wrong it, there is no reason the Rx video card should not work with your setup. It is not incompatible. Is it a used card?

As far as running the memory at 1066, try giving the RAM a little more voltage, say 2.15. You might also try bumping up the CPU-NB (the memor controller on the CPU die) voltage as well. Try 1.25 volts.

Also, try an experiment regarding cooling -> remove the side panel to let ambient room air circulate through the case. What are you room temps? Also, have you cleaned the dust from the components lately?

Also, try an experiment regarding cooling -> remove the side panel to let ambient room air circulate through the case. What are you room temps? Also, have you cleaned the dust from the components lately?

I think OP may have done the open case thing and even put an outside fan on it according to post #5.

Yes, it's a used card but it works fine.
I just don't understand all the lag and
freezing up now. Will try the memory
settings. Is that the DDR2 voltage
for the Ram?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
From the OPs profile
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz
Radeon RX 580 4GB
4GB G.Skill DDR 2 1066 pc 8500
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM
Corsair Enthusiast Series 850TX 850w ATX12v
XION Gaming Series ATX Mid Tower Case
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

From the OPs profile
Ancient CPU + 4GB of RAM (I hope 2 sticks) + newer GPU = potential problems.... especially on newer games (Valheim and Grounded).

I expect to have a sub-par gaming experience with that configuration....specifically the CPU and RAM. :thup:

EDIT: The profile is (should be) public. Click on their name, click on VIEW PROFILE, then you should see an ABOUT ME tab that holds the information. That said, I'm glad it is in a signature as that is A LOT easier to find. ;) :thup:

Last edited:
Ancient CPU + 4GB of RAM (I hope 2 sticks) + newer GPU = potential problems.... especially on newer games (Valheim and Grounded).

I expect to have a sub-par gaming experience with that configuration....specifically the CPU and RAM. :thup:

EDIT: The profile is (should be) public. Click on their name, click on VIEW PROFILE, then you should see an ABOUT ME tab that holds the information. That said, I'm glad it is in a signature as that is A LOT easier to find. ;) :thup:

Agreed, 8GB is a minimum RAM for modern games + windows 10, and quad cores aren't enough for some modern games, let alone one as old as an Athlon.

I just saw this thread and I see that others see the same issue I do. Lack of RAM and an AMD CPU that is marginal at best. I liked the Phenom II's when they came out and still have a few x6's in production even today but I haven't tried to game with them in many years.

As ED was trying to say, With this CPU and others, use multiples of the # of memory channels. If your CPU is dual channel, then you want 2, 4 or 6 sticks of RAM. If it is tripple channel, you want 3 or 6 sticks. If it's quad channel, you want 4 or 8. If it's single channel, then any number of sticks won't change the throughput.

Back