• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Please! M4A78T-E w/ memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drama0313

Hi everyone.

I'm having a little trouble with my system. I have the Asus M4A78T-E motherboard along with 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600. It's a new build, however it's not booting up. I did a little bit of research and I think the motherboard cannot handle the 1600 without overclocking the bios? My question is, if that is true, how can I overclock the bios if I can't get it to boot and actually get to the bios? Do I have to put in DDR3 1333 first, then overclock, then put back the 1600 memory?

Thanks for anyone's help and suggestions in advance.

Hi everyone.

I'm having a little trouble with my system. I have the Asus M4A78T-E motherboard along with 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600. It's a new build, however it's not booting up. I did a little bit of research and I think the motherboard cannot handle the 1600 without overclocking the bios? My question is, if that is true, how can I overclock the bios if I can't get it to boot and actually get to the bios? Do I have to put in DDR3 1333 first, then overclock, then put back the 1600 memory?

Thanks for anyone's help and suggestions in advance.

Try running one stick at a time. First try installing ONE STICK into dimm slot 1. If that doesn't work, ONE STICK in dimm2, and so on...

If you still can't get it to boot, yes, you may need to get another stick as the board's not liking your RAM (unless some other hardware is having a problem).

Did you check Asus's site to see if the RAM was compatible? And use Godm@n's method. Also, is your PSU running?

Edit:From Asus's site "4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory"

That may be the problem.

I tried the one stick at a time and still nothing. I was just looking at the QVL and my memory is in there. I understand the board runs the 1600 when overclocked, but wouldn't it at least read the memory at 1333?

Thanks.

Can you give it a try why another stick? I have used memory rated higher than my mobo and it just switched to a lower frequency by itself. I also think that the RAM's SPD is supposed to help here.

Can you give it a try why another stick? I have used memory rated higher than my mobo and it just switched to a lower frequency by itself. I also think that the RAM's SPD is supposed to help here.

I was planning on buying a stick from frys on my way home just to see if it will post. If that doesn't work I think I will just RMA the board. Thanks.

Grab an el-cheapo stick and let us know then. We're here to help as we are helped by everyone in this forum.

Drama, were you able to get it working? My understanding is that it shouldn't matter that you're using 1600, if the BIOS is defaulted at 1333 then is will just run the 1600 at 1333 settings. I am using 2X2gig stick of g.skill 1600 without any problems.

Last edited:
Back