• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help replacing my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have an HP Z400 pc and i just bought a xeon w3690. http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Xeon-W3690

having only owned amd pc's where the chips had the pins and the cpu coolers clipped onto the socket retention thingy im not sure how to remove/replace my cpu below is some info you may need

will be using mx-2 for the thermal paste

this is my first time replacing a CPU since the old Pentium 4 days

2dehands computer, tweedehands computer, hp z400, 2dehands computers.JPG 8954_Asetek-Liquid-Cooler-for-HP-Z400-Workstation.jpg IMG_1361.jpg

Changing a CPU isn't too bad. You'll have to remove the cooler from the CPU first. Then I would clean the paste off of the current CPU before you remove it. Coffee filters work great if you have any.
Pay attention to the CPU orientation, they only go in one way and there should be a mark on one corner. Make a mental note so you put the new one in the same way.
Loosen the lever on the hold down and pull it back this should lift the hold down up and open it all the way
Pick the current CPU up by two sides of the green PCB and be careful not to drop it in the socket. The pins in there are fragile and bend very easily.
Put the other cpu in the same wat that one was and close the hold down
Put a dab of the new paste in the center of the CPU about the sixe of a big grain of rice should do. You need enough that it'll spread across the IHS when you tighten the cooler down.
Install the cooler by getting all 4 posts started then alternate corners diagnonally and tighten it down evenly i usually do about one turn for each at a time. It takes a bit of time but it sets the paste more evenly this way. Make sure everything is plugged back in and start it up.

It's a good idea while doing this to set the CMOS jumper or take the battery out. The new CPU will do better with a default bios and clearing it will help.. Don't forget to change the jumper back before you try and start it

You have four screws that hold the pump/water block to the MB. I can't tell from the photos but you will want a screw driver that fits those retention screws.

From there, it will look very familiar with a set of levers to unspring and lift up. You won't have any problem.

Wow lol..does that mobo even have any overclock ability?...probably pretty stripped down id imagine. Id absolutely remove that old cooler while you're at it...dump that shroud and put like the d14 on it man.

the Z400 has no bios overclock aside from intel enhanced turbo boost but i can use intel extreme tuning utility to adjust the max turbo boost for each individual core since my cpu is unlocked

Started to say...looks like something pretty stripped in the Bios old dino dude Lol

eh it works i get a constant 60fps in every game i play including doom and the wither 3 tonight i will be testing gta 5 on this beast

...idk talk to the crazy #### man lol

Ease up on the racist language friend. We are ALL friends here.
I'm not reporting the post in case I'm reading it wrong or it was just a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back