• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help selecting motherbaord

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My advice is spend the least amount of money on a motherboard and put what you save towards the Formula V.

However there are many great alternatives to the V Formula, M5A99X EVO is a great choice as well as the UD5. Pretty much you would want to go the a 990fx based board.

But as I mentioned if you are set on getting the Crosshair V then I suggest gettting the cheapest for now, then upgrading later.

Last edited:
I would even say just a budget 770 board possibly even a refurb ~$30 off the egg if you intend on upgrading soon.

NVM couldnt find one of those good deals right now, but this is a pretty solid board as a temporary solution click

Last edited:
ASRock 770 extreme3 is a solid board for around $70... USB 3, am3, sata6.0gbps, pretty good feature set for a temporary board.

Looking for atx or matx?

Funny you post - my main rig is now a 1055T in an MSI 880G-E45... that I bought at Microcenter as a combo. ;) For $175 (it was a bit more when I bought them!), it's a pretty decent deal! No issues with overclocking so far with the motherboard - I've got a solid 3.65GHz out of mine.

My limiting factor is my stock, out of the box vCore on my 1055T was 1.45v. Not much of anywhere else to go from there - I just got a poor bin. Luck of the draw on that. I could probably run higher than the 1.41v I've manually adjusted it to, but it starts to get hot in a hurry, even under a Hyper 212+.

Considering I effectively paid $30 for this motherboard, it's both the cheapest motherboard I've acquired, and the best one under $75 I've gotten thus far. There's almost no good reason not to get it!

Help - I am an OC VIRGIN. I just bought a Microcenter $120 special for an AMD Phenom II 1075T 6-core processor (natively runs at 3GHZ) and an MSI 880G-E45 motherboard. The motherboard comes with on Easy-OC switch that supposedly allows me to boost by 10%, 15%, or 20%, just by setting 2 switches on the board.

I tried all switch setting combos, per the manual, but cannot boot up once I have moved the switches to anything other the default settings.

Can you recommend and walk me through how to bump up the various settings in setup to get a reasonable boost? If I could get to 3.5 or 3.6 I would be really really ecstatic.

Thanks

Back