• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Need Help] Choosing between two platforms...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys I am wondering if you can help me decide what is a better long term option on two platforms I have that I cannot make a decision on. These of course are two great chips with 8 cores and 16 thread. One thing I notice was the Ryzen pulled less power from the wall from my entire system for example. I was running at around 200W to 210W with the 3700X while the Intel pulls around 250W to 259W from what I have seen.

System 1 = 9900K + ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME Z390

or

System 2 = 3700X + (Not purchased yet X470 / X570 motherboard) I was looking at the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO for a purchased or VIII. I gotten the chip from someone local for cheap and wanted to play around with it. However the board I used had issues. Now debating ether to keep and build into it or sell it.

Which is a better long term system to keep since I am planning to sell one of them. Note I test the 3700X with a ASUS TUF Gaming X570 motherboard but I think that board had some odd issues that was causing it to be not stable. However when running find I can't tell much the different between the 9900K and the 3700X. Which tells me the percentage is very close to each other. Now fans run better on the Z390 motherboard but that is a $580 motherboard versus a $199 motherboard is going to have better AI / bios / software. Anyways, if giving the opportunity which of those two units would you keep and why?

Thanks in Advance!

Final Note: I do run dual 25" 1080p by 144Hz @ 1ms monitors with a MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio and 32GB DDR4 3000MHz.

Wht do you primarily do with this pc? How long before you believe you would want an upgrade? If you are good with 8c/16t for the next 2-3 years and your uses cannot utilize all of the c/t AMD has to offer, keep the Intel system. If you can utilize all the c/t and want to stay on this same platform for 4-6 years (where you drop in a higher core count, possibly next gen cpu), then go amd.

I do gaming, audio production and streaming which is a new thing I am testing out. Other than that just gaming some programming and some audio production. Occasionally I may work on video editing but I have not recently due to my busy scheduled. I was thinking would be nice to get a nice motherboard that all I need to do is upgrade the processor as needed be but then again Are we going to be limited with the 8C/16T in the next year or two? Is there a reason to go Ryzen side from upgrade and cheaper cost for parts over my current setup? Issue I have is for example my motherboard is very expensive and very high end. Yet I am not doing anything like LN2 or Water Cooling with it etc... Everything is just running stock because I no longer have the need or want to overclock. XD So trying to make a decision here being I picked up the 3700X for $270 with the idea to use it or help a friend out. I mean they go for $329.99 new and the chip is only a couple of months old. The dude that I got it from upgraded to the 3900X. My idea would had been to get a board and move my stuff over and sell the Intel and board were I can get a bit more money out of it.

we going to be limited with the 8C/16T in the next year or two?
Nope. I think it will easily last 2-3 as I said earlier.

I mean really, nothing you mentioned screams like it would need more than 8c/16t... so I'd stay put. If you need or want the money, then sell it. It's really up to you as either system will be fine for the next 2-3 years as is. It comes down to if you want to drop in a higher core count and next gen chip in amd (assuming it works) or go all new platform for Intel. But you need to consider the board you have will be what you use for several years...so hopefully it has all the features you need, otherwise the value proposition is a lot less for the amd system.

gaming-At 1080p, the 9700k holds a 5-10% framerate edge in most gaming benchmarks.

At 1440p, the difference shrinks to a 5% or lower lead on average for the 9700k.

If you plan to game at 4k, 3440×1440, or another very high resolution, expect the difference to be minimal.

multi media performance.....Both the 3700X and 9700k are 8-core CPU’s. While the 9700k has 8 threads, the 3700X has 16 – just as with the more expensive 9900k.

This is an area where the 3700X shines, and far outperforms the 9700k. Expect a time reduction anywhere from 20-50% in performing some of these tasks.
You really can’t go wrong with either the 3700X or the 9700k. They fit into a great price point where you’re getting near to top-end performance without spending a fortune.

Here’s where I think each CPU stands out. Figure out what matters most to you and pick accordingly.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X:

Overall Value
Streaming
Video Editing
Encoding & Compression
Low Power Consumption

Intel i7-9700k:

Gaming
Photo Editing
Office Applications
Overclocking
Lower Temperatures

Thank you guys, well I came with the conclusion of getting the Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero. Reason is I don't want to worry about upgrading motherboard anytime soon. As I will be busy with other important things I going to tight my budget to were if I need a 12 core I can get it or 16 core I can get it or maybe the Ryzen 4XXXX series. I feel such motherboard will put me in the middle of things and with a system I like to do a lot of multi-media stuff not just gaming. I think AMD Ryzen will be the way to go for me. I don't plan to change the motherboard in the next 4 years I hope.

I do appreciate the info and break down you guys gave me, which allowed me to think it and sleep on it but waking up this morning I knew now what I have to do. Once I get the motherboard I will work on selling the Intel i9-9900K and ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme Z390 motherboard. I should be able to make some of that money back to put it into other things or save it.

Cool man!

Though the value component was shot by getting a new AMD motherboard... looks like you are all in on AMD for the next several years! I'm sure you will not be disappointed! :)

Me, I would have rode out the 9900K and see what happens in 2-3 years and then made the switch to the next Intel or AMD platform.

@EarthDog; I see what you mean I didn't put into mind the fact that I already paid $270 for the chip and then I would be paying $359.99 + 5% tax for the mobo. That would make it so even if I sold the combo for $800 I am still only making a little bit of cash out of it not putting time waste getting there. .... now I could easily get a refurbished Crosshair Vii for $139.99 or new for $244. Not sure if that is worth it still. Damn it. This is why I like to ask these things because it helps me think if I am looking at it the right way or not. At this point rolling out the 9900K for 2-3 years made more sense as I will not have to spend any money or compromised my setup being I have both high end items.

Thanks! @EarthDog

Last edited:
Back