• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED need help to update bios for better cpu. please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sorabishop

Registered
I got a computer for free from a recycling place still working im shocked.
so my point is i want to put amd phenom II x6 1100T BE in it but the bios are to old for that cpu.
so i went to ASUS website and got the most recent bios and i went to the ez flash tool in the bios.
when i selected the .rom file it said (rom id is incompatible with existing bios) right now its version 0304 im trying to put version 0802 on.
I even tried to start from a step up from the old bios and work my way up but i still get the same message. (rom id is incompatible with existing bios)
Oh and btw the mobo is asus M4A78LT-M. what might i be doing wrong? im using a micro sd card formated to FAT32 it can read and wright. i cant find my usb sticks :(

Last edited:
First thing I notice is there are 3 different models the M4A78LT-M, M4A78LT-M LE and the M4A78LT-M LX check which one you have and which BIOS you have.

First thing I notice is there are 3 different models the M4A78LT-M, M4A78LT-M LE and the M4A78LT-M LX check which one you have and which BIOS you have.

yes im sure its the correct one. mobo says M4A78LT-M/CM1630/DP_MB

- - - Updated - - -

Can you write the current bios to your sd card?

least i think so i unziped the folder i got from the asus website then I moved the .ROM file to the card. the bios sees it but i keep getting that message

least i think so i unziped the folder i got from the asus website then I moved the .ROM file to the card. the bios sees it but i keep getting that message

I meant the bios that is currently on your board. You should be able to output that to the sd card. Aside from creating a back up in case things go south, you could also compare it to the bios you're trying to flash. Might be something obvious that is causing an issue.
Otherwise I'm with Johan, make sure you've got the correct bios for the exact board you have since there appears to be 4 similar models.

I've had motherboards that wanted you to name the BIOS file something specific. Lots of things could be wrong. Some intern putting files up on the download page might have put the wrong file link. Your file might have been slightly corrupted when you downloaded it. Lots of possible problems. Maybe try downloading the second newest BIOS?

I would contact Asus about this. I'm with batboy. I think something is wrong with the file posted on the Asus web site. You might also try downloading it again in case it got corrupted in the transfer.

so i backed up the bios but it wanted me to make a name for it. so i dont think the name is an issue. i looked all the motherboards from the asus web site only the M4A78LT-M was the only one that had the ports in the back in the same place. I tried all the bios and none of them work.

Did you check the lock switch on the SD card? It is supposed to stop writes to the card, but I have had all kinds of issues from that switch being on. Sometimes the card just wont be recognized sometimes I cant move files off of it, sometimes it does what it is supposed to and only prevents writing to the card :D

Did you check the lock switch on the SD card? It is supposed to stop writes to the card, but I have had all kinds of issues from that switch being on. Sometimes the card just wont be recognized sometimes I cant move files off of it, sometimes it does what it is supposed to and only prevents writing to the card :D

IT's unlocked

so i found bios that worked i had to get a specific one. for some reason had to get the bios for the specific tower this mobo came in. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/CM1630/HelpDesk_BIOS/ witch is this one. even know it has the same motherboard i was trying to get the bios from.
https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/M4A78LT-M/HelpDesk_Download/ witch was this site.
the thing that i hope works is that this site http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Phenom_II_X6/1100T_motherboards.html
says that i have to have bios 0802 to use the amd phenom ii x6 1100T BE. but the one in the first link only goes to 0801.

well 0801 is as high as the bios im going to get. i cant use the amd phenom II x6 1100T BE.
i just have to use the next best one i can use the amd phenom II X4 965 BE that dont require that high of bios. its also $20 cheaper.
thanks people for trying to help.

well 0801 is as high as the bios im going to get. i cant use the amd phenom II x6 1100T BE.
i just have to use the next best one i can use the amd phenom II X4 965 BE that dont require that high of bios. its also $20 cheaper.
thanks people for trying to help.
It may be a bit easier to find a 955 Be, they also tend, from what I've seen to run a little cooler then the 965 be.

^^ and clock higher
That board isn't cut out for a Thuban CPU

Back