• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help updating bios for fx-4100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Llano_Power

Registered
I've got my fx 4100 processor and the asus m5a97 and when it boots up it black screens. My gpu is running and everything. How do I update my bios without being able to see it? Or make my bios visible?

Yup, if the bios isn't BD compatible, you need a processor that is compatible with your current bios, then you can update using that processor, and then install the FX-4100.

I assume that the problem is that the current BIOS revision is older than 0813, which adds compatibility for the FX-4100? You can always attempt a blind flash using either a floppy or thumb drive...

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...VO&s=24&hashedid=fG1WS9HbBAM8v6CX&os=&no=1722

... or like the other folks suggested, install an older CPU that's compatible w/ the current BIOS revision, flash the latest 1102 revision and then re-install the 4100.

Blind flash is easier, especially with ASUS that will do so without your intervention at all assuming you set it up right. But I do prefer the seeing what is going on...

Blind flash is easier, especially with ASUS that will do so without your intervention at all assuming you set it up right. But I do prefer the seeing what is going on...
Thing is I don't have another processor to put in and I haven't been able to set up anything in the bios.

So I load the file on a usb and plug it in then it loads the bios is it that simple?

I don't see the instructions for doing a blind flash?

That page talks about a flash that runs automatically if bios is corrupt and displaying an error message, however I don't see how to instruct him right now.

Blind flashing is just too risky for me.

Curious as to how you stumble upon such a combo. Most people get in this bind because they upgraded CPU at which case they use their old CPU to up MB before swapping CPU. If you bought combo from a retail store, they'll should gladly flash the MB for you otherwise they just sold you a none functional product. At this point, either beg or borrow a compatible CPU or go to a computer repair shop and pay them a small fee to flash the MB for you.

Back