• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with 800d build: Custom WC or ALL in one Setup (H100)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berserker44

Hi I'm a new member, but I'm not a Noob when it comes to over clocking and water cooling. I am confident enough to pretty much get my hands on anything.

I am at a fork in the road with my new corsair 800d build. I have all my components that I need for the build:

Corsair 800d case
Asus Maximus Extreme IV Z
17 2600k
16gb Kingston ram (AARRRGGGG it's supposed to 24gb! lol embarrassing, but when I bought the mother board I forgot it was dual channel and got too much ram. 8gb went straight to current build)
1200 power supply
1 TB hard drive
some old graphics card I use for a place holder, still gets the job done

Now I need to start to plan the cooling. I am trying to decide whether to go all in one setup, like the corsair 100h, or go with setting up a really nice single/dual loop water cooling system. I have had experience with both. my first haf 932 rig is currently setup with a build water-cooled system. I am using at this moment it's "good". I say good because I have a 920 at stock, but it still is at 40c at normal room temp.

In Your opinion what do you think is the best route? The corsair 80h and 100h seem like good systems, and the temps when over clocking are pretty good in the reviews. However a custom built system would look really nice, and give me room for water cooling other components. im really inspired by this guy's project: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Obsidian-800D-Liquid-Cooled-Dual-Loop-System However the 100h doesn't look "awesome" in the 800d case from what I've seen, while the custom setup would be rather expensive since I will be buying all the parts.

NOTE, I do not mind the time consuming process of custom water cooling, it's actually incredibly fun, and since I just graduate college, (and I have no job atm) I have plenty of time. Also I have not bought a graphics card yet. I really want to get into pc gaming, but never had the card. I've always been confused on what to get since cards are constantly being outdated by new cards. Any suggestions of what cards I could get? I was considering the 580's with the hydro FTW for my water cooling dual loop if I go the custom rout.

Other notes. I am a 3d artist animator, so I work with programs that require a lot of ram, and also I need as much (CPU) power as possible for rendering image and animations. with the processor/MB I believe I can get it to 4.8ghz, but I will need sufficient cooling. my current build is the i7 920, at 2.6 stock and my renders are a bit slow. I am looking mainly for performance!

Thank you for your time, and anything will help. Please tell me if I need to clarify or add info, thanks

Last edited:
I'd say it sounds like a custom loop(s) will make you happier, just from reading your post. The H series is for people who don't have time, not enough $ to go full water, or just want set and forget. It sounds like you have the time and the means to do a custom setup so that's what I'd recommend. I bet you like it better in the long run.

this is not to say a H100 isn't a good performer, I just
think you'll get more satisfaction from a custom loop(s).

and dual 580s will laugh at you for trying to stress them with games. If you can do it, go for it!

Cooling the CPU can be done with a high end air cooler. The big thing now is keeping the darn GPU's quiet. If your going SLI, the only way is full on watercooling. Thats expensive. No reason not to add WC to the CPU if your WC the GPUs.

Yea, it's not cheap, a cpu/2x580 watercooling will be easily over $700.

We got quite a few 800D build logs here, just copy and paste one of them into your rig I guess.

Back