• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with first overclock AMD board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbudders

Registered
I have a a7v266-c motherboard and the processor/cpu is AMD Athlon xp 2000+. I have got the manual but have never attempted to overclock anything before. I play a game that requires 1.3ghz speed. I only have 1.27 currently (close but no cigar). I have done some reading and understand this board/cpu combo can run at 1.78ghz. I am just totally confused on how to do this. I am also using pc2700 memory instead of the pc2100 if that makes a difference. Here is a link to the MB manual http://dlcdnas.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt266a/a7v266-c/a7v266-c_100.pdf. Please Help. Thank You. To clarify, I do not understand the jumper settings required to accomplish this on pg 10 is the cpu jumpers and on pg 20 is the power jumper, But they make no sense to me as well as I do not know what to set them to.
In advanced in the BIOS menu, I can change the cpu speed from 1.25/1.3ghz to 1.66/1.7ghz but my system freezes alot when I do this.

i dont think i can help with your motherboard settings, but what video card do you have? and what game are you trying to play??

It probably freezes when you raise the CPU speed in bios because you also need to increase the voltage to the CPU when you increase speed. It's like needing to feed more gas to a car engine when you want it to go faster.

What are you cooling the CPU with because heat becomes a factor when you begin to increase processor voltage and speed? Are you using the stock air cooler or something aftermarket that is bigger and better?

P.S. I don't think your link to the owner's manual works. When I downloaded it it was empty when I went to read it. No pages.

Last edited:
Okay I downloaded the manual file again and this time it worked.

So, it looks like you need to:
1. Set the jumper block to "Jumper Free" mode
2. In "Advanced" section, set CPU speed to "Manual"
3. Also in the "Advanced" section of the bios, you need to increase the "CPU vcore". First, you need to research what the stock voltage setting is and then bump it up. It usually doesn't harm electronics to give a 10-15% increase in voltages.
4. Increase the "CPU: System Frequency Multiple" to whatever you need to accomplish your goal of 1.3+ ghz. If your CPU does not have an unlocked multiplier you will have to increase the fsb (system bus) to overclock the CPU. If it is not an unlocked multiplier CPU, proceed to 5. below:
5. Increase the "System/PCI Frequency (MHZ) to achieve the desired result.

Last edited:
Via chipsets were notorious for having the PCI bus locked to the system clock. If this motherboard has no PCI multipliers or some way to fix the PCI at 33/66 then OC'ing with the clock will be very limited. PCI can only take ~10% OC (37 MHz) before it starts corrupting data ...

It appears that you have the FSB at 100 mhz or at less than 133 mhz.
Set the FSB to 133 mhz. You may be required to do this with jumpers.

Stock for 2000+ is 1.66 ghz (133x12.5)

Please check the motherboard manual.

No, he can do that without jumpers. That would be here:

Attachments

• Ratio.JPG
    Ratio.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 62
Back