• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with my first build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viola

Registered
hello there :)
so i finally got some spare cash to spend on a new pc, cuz i sold my laptop. i'm not 100% tech-savvy so i'm not sure if the parts go together or not, this is also my first attempt at putting something together myself, so i thought i would ask u guys for help, since i've been lurking around these forums whenever i wanted some info on pc related stuff(for which this site is amazing ;) ).
i want this primarily for gaming, right now it's Aion Online, maybe later some guild wars 2 or something, but mainly RPG and MMORPG. i don't play any FPS games so i don't need over the top pc. i just wanna max out Aion in 1366x768 resolution if it's possible.
so the parts that i was looking at are:

PSU: Netzteil Linkworld 600W Silenzio Power 12cm retail
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 965 125W BLACK EDITION
GPU: XFX HD6870 1024MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,2XDP
RAM: 4GB 1600MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 DIMM KIT 2
M/B: ASUS AM3 NF630A DDR3 SATA2 RAID ATX
CASE: Cooler Master Elite RC-430
HDD: WD 8.9cm (3.5") 500GB SATA WD5000AAKX 6GB/s 7200 32mb
CD/DVD: SMG DVDRW 22X BULK BLACK

i will probably get a better PSU and M/B once i get some more money, right now this setup is all i can afford and i can't go any higher.
so yeah, is it all compatible, will the GPU fit in the case, is there anything else i'm forgetting?
also, i live outside us, so i can't order anything from newegg, the import duties in my country from the states are very high, it just wouldn't be worth it.

I really wouldnt skimp on the PSU. It would be a shame to have built your system only to have the PSU potentially take it out.

That said, there is a link to a PSU guide in my signature. Take a look at it and see if there are any PSU brands in that list available in your country. Another thing, is that with a 6870, you can go back to a 450W QUALITY PSU, you dont need 600W.

I really wouldnt skimp on the PSU. It would be a shame to have built your system only to have the PSU potentially take it out.

That said, there is a link to a PSU guide in my signature. Take a look at it and see if there are any PSU brands in that list available in your country. Another thing, is that with a 6870, you can go back to a 450W QUALITY PSU, you dont need 600W.

yea i was kinda worried about it too, but i wasn't sure how much power would i need with hd6870 and amd 965

anywayz, is this any better?
CHIEFTEC PSU 500W ATX2.3 80+

their lower wattage coolermaster, corsair, antec, silverstone etc. brand PSUs are out of stock, only 800W+ ones are left and those are pretty expensive. :/

IMO, at that resolution, you'd be better off seeing if you could get a GTX460.

I'd put the saved money towards a better motherboard. If you can find one with a 9xx chipset, that makes your computer MUCH less outdated.

IMO, at that resolution, you'd be better off seeing if you could get a GTX460.

I'd put the saved money towards a better motherboard. If you can find one with a 9xx chipset, that makes your computer MUCH less outdated.

maybe u can suggest me a few models which are worth looking at?

In your price range, it would have the 970 chipset. I actually really haven't seen one that I wouldn't buy, the ones out are made by Gigabyte, ASUS, ASRock, and MSI, which are all quality manufactures.

See if you can find a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 or a ASUS M5A97. They will use the AM3+ socket, do not worry, it is backwards compatible with the AM3 CPUs.

In your price range, it would have the 970 chipset. I actually really haven't seen one that I wouldn't buy, the ones out are made by Gigabyte, ASUS, ASRock, and MSI, which are all quality manufactures.

See if you can find a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 or a ASUS M5A97. They will use the AM3+ socket, do not worry, it is backwards compatible with the AM3 CPUs.

hmmm... just checked both of them, the gigabyte one is 60$ more expensive and the asus is 80$. the price difference between the gtx460 and hd6870 is only about 15$... :/
would it be fine if i kept the older m/b and switched it out in a couple of months or will hurt the performance of my pc?

Meh. Used 460s in the US are almost $100 cheaper, they're a steal. You'd be fine with the cheaper motherboard. AMD's coming out with a brand new line of CPUs in October, and those motherboards support them. Getting the motherboard now means in a couple years you would just need to change out your CPU, but if you can't afford it don't sweat about it.

How much cheaper is the 955 over the 965?

Btw, Seagate, Hitachi, and Samsung hard drives are usually cheaper then Western Digital.

Meh. Used 460s in the US are almost $100 cheaper, they're a steal. You'd be fine with the cheaper motherboard. AMD's coming out with a brand new line of CPUs in October, and those motherboards support them. Getting the motherboard now means in a couple years you would just need to change out your CPU, but if you can't afford it don't sweat about it.

How much cheaper is the 955 over the 965?

Btw, Seagate, Hitachi, and Samsung hard drives are usually cheaper then Western Digital.

the 955 is actually more expensive by about 3$ xD
the CPUs and GPUs are hella overpriced here :(

and about the HDD, the wd was the cheapest 500gb 7200rpm 32mb one, the rest of them were 5400rpm 16mb or out of stock.
and i don't wanna go for Tb, because i don't need it. i don't really watch movies and my music collection is about 9gb at most.

Now that just makes zero sense. xD

In that case, I think that's the best you can do. Pretty amazing power for the price.

i know, right? :p
but hey, it could be worse - nobody selling them here at all!

thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated! :)

now comes the dreaded task of actually putting it all together and wiring... especially the wiring part... *shudders*

i know, right? :p
but hey, it could be worse - nobody selling them here at all!

thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated! :)

now comes the dreaded task of actually putting it all together and wiring... especially the wiring part... *shudders*

It's actually quite simple...most of the connectors only fit in the place they're supposed to go. The ATX standard is pretty mistake-proof.

Only thing to watch out for is the 8pin. There should be two 8 pin (2 rows of 4 pins each) connectors. One will be labeled EPS, this goes in your motherboard, next to the CPU. The other is a PCIe power connector, that goes into your video card.

It's actually quite simple...most of the connectors only fit in the place they're supposed to go. The ATX standard is pretty mistake-proof.

Only thing to watch out for is the 8pin. There should be two 8 pin (2 rows of 4 pins each) connectors. One will be labeled EPS, this goes in your motherboard, next to the CPU. The other is a PCIe power connector, that goes into your video card.

yeah i hope so too. :)
and i also hope i won't fry the motherboard when installing it like 2 of my friends did by accident :D

edit: and thanks for the tip!

and i also hope i won't fry the motherboard when installing it like 2 of my friends did by accident :D

ANTI STATIC STRAP! (People call me paranoid, but I'd rather not waste my hard earned money on burnt parts)

The cheap version is just taking some copper wire, wrapping it around your wrist, and tying the other end to your case.

ANTI STATIC STRAP! (People call me paranoid, but I'd rather not waste my hard earned money on burnt parts)

The cheap version is just taking some copper wire, wrapping it around your wrist, and tying the other end to your case.

good idea, thanks :)
though those guys did it by mounting the motherboard directly on the case xD

Lol at static strap. Touch the case before u touch parts. Or don't shuffle your feet in the floor while walking over to it. Its summer too and more humidty.

Good to be safe than sorry but throug 20 full system build and countless parts changes I have never used one.

Back