• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with some choices for W/C setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tuscanitunr

This is my first time getting into Water Cooling. I've had my eye on it for the past 2 years, however I always stuck with Air Cooling. So onto the meat of this thread. I'm stuck on trying to figure out what I need and what fits what. Im trying to WC my new rig for a moderate overclock...nothing major and I'm not trying to set any "records" for lack of a better way to put it. Also I would like to have 2 Rads and basically dual loops(One for the CPU and one for the GPU). My budget is pretty unlimited, although I want to try to keep the WC parts under $1000(From what Ive read...500-600 should be about right for a good setup). I have a dremel to mod the case that I have otherwise, I don't have a metal shop where I live. Also have a plethora of other basic tools. Now on to what I have for my rig-

Case: Cooler Master 840
CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
Motherboard: MSI X58 Eclipse SLI
Graphics Card: eVGA 295GTX(Might turn into x2 down the road...unlikely but possible)
PSU: 1000W Corsair

So that is what I have for the basics of my system. Now for the W/Cing part-

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Videocard WB/WBs: Not sure and need help choosing
Radiator & Quantity: Not sure and need help choosing. Also Im looking at the XSPC RX360. I would like to have a dual loop, one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Im not sure if I should go with a dual fan rad or triple fan rad...which ever one gets me better performance.
Radiator Fans & Quantity: Not sure and need help choosing.
Reservoir:XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir for Two Laing DDC's (http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sidewindercomputers_2081_29201044)
Tubing & Size:Not sure and need help choosing.
Barb/Fitting Size:Not sure and need help choosing.
Pump & Quantity: Swiftech MCP355 12v DC Pump X2

Now with all of that, Ive got some questions -

1: The main thing that Ive seen confuse me is matching up the different sizes of barbs?? Wondering if my "setup" is compatible with each other. I.E. Does the rad and pump and block fittings match and are there different connectors to make them fit a certain tubing size?

2: I would like to have the rads internal, and Ive looked at pics of others build logs specific to the CM 840, got some good idea's...but nothing that I was looking at doing. So any idea's? Ive got a link of what Im wanting to do. I like the idea and although I may not be able to have that particular setup...I would like to have something like that.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211950(2nd picture down)

Anyways, any help would be awesome. I'm mainly worried about what to get rather then placement as I have a huge honkin case. Thanks guys.

Disclaimer- Yes Ive read...and read...and read some more...following Conumdrums advice about reading and learning, but wow...that's a lot of info, some of it very technical and I kinda got lost.:rain:

XSPC RX 360 would be great with some medium speed fans. If you live in a hot climate or going to overclock a lot, then the 360 for size. Minimum 240.

1/2" ID or 7/16 ID. Promoflex LRT tubing is very very nice and comes in many nice colors.

All barbs are measured by the threads and the I/D of the tubing you chose. 99.99% is G1/4 threads. I mentioned hose size above. Bitspower or Danger den Fatboys are the brand of choice for barbs. Bitpower also makes an awesome collection of 45 90, adaptors etc.

And yea, it's a ton. You did good. You can't learn it all in one fell swoop, but being informed as you know more than before is a good start.

Here's the page in my w/c guide for beginners on tubing & fittings. Maybe it will clear a bit up for you. Conumdrum already summed it up though.

If you haven't read the whole thing already, there's another link to read as well. :)

Depending on the price, you can get the EVGA 295 already with a water block. No idea how it compares to others on the market though. You could also probably link two Swiftech MCW-60's together, but it might be a pain. For brands, EK makes good full coverage blocks as far as video cards go.

Awesome, thanks guys...Ill read......sommmme more...lol. Just a bit nervous about buying some of this equipment and making sure it all goes together the first time

That's where the reading comes in. It is a lot and can seem overwhelming. Only when you have a strong knowledge of the basics should you attempt to build, my young grasshopper. :p

Back