• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with upgrading system for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l19bal

Registered
Hello all, I need advice on upgrading my system.
Currently, I have aGigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard running an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 'San Diego' Processor at 2.21GHz. I've currently got installed 2 x 512MB RAM in dual channel 128-bit, 1GB 'cheap ram', and another 1GB of 'cheap RAM', bringing the total to 3GB of RAM. My BIOS recognizes it all as 3GB which is correct, and obviously it takes it down to single channel 64bit because they aren't set up in dual channel etc. But Windows 7 recognizes it as 9GB of RAM and says 'Only 3GB usable'. Don't know if that's Windows going a bit mad or if its the 'cheap RAM'. Whatever it is, I'd like to upgrade my RAM to something good. I will also upgrade my motherboard but keep the processor.

So, I've already bought a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR motherboard just yesterday off eBay for £45 including delivery. I've been told a lot that this is the one for overclocking, and I've also read the same thing on quite a few places. So motherboard's OK for now? RAM I'd like to upgrade. I seen a couple on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-XMS-P...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item5888eced22

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORSAIR-XMS-P...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item4aa3832f0d

Please can someone guide me the correct way with this, as I'm not absolutely brilliant with it all, but I do know a bit here and there :). Thank you.

:welcome: to OCF!

I'm not sure the first link includes two sticks of RAM and, in any event, the second link (XMS PC3200-XL) is a better set of RAM anyway. I've run the XMS LL series for over four years and they have delivered excellent performance. I applaud your good taste.! :)

Of course, this is still only a total of 1 Gb of RAM, not 2 Gb. If you have the funds I'd be looking at a Corsair XMS 2x1 Gb kit or possibly two of these 2x512 Mb kits. If you opt for the 2x512 Mb be sure they are as close to the same as you can get, preferably the same manufacturer and timings but having the same model number would be even better ...

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your reply. Oh yes I read the first link again and you seem to be correct! Perfect, I shall be going for the second link then. Well, soon anyway when I have more funds. Will definitely keep the Corsair XMS PC3200-XL in mind. I think that's my problem solved!... For now anyway :p

No problem and keep us posted. When you've got your new RAM and board assembled we'll be here to help you OC! :) I don't have any direct experience with the LP boards (I'm as ASUS kinda' guy) but I do have a lot of experience OC'ing the s939 platform ...

Thank you very much, I will do as soon as I have it set up! I've also made a DIY waterblock for a watercooling rig that will be set up soon on the new motherboard etc for OC'ing. I will post it all in a new thread and will then post the link here, but bear in mind that the rig is not even near to being complete! I've made the waterblock and tested it for ages (over 2 weeks continuously running), and amazingly there are no leaks! First time as well. Still have to mount it all into a 'slim case' so it looks good and is not very space occupying. More details on that when I post the link with pictures. Thanks!

Back