• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with USB problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Motherboard is listed in sig. Latest bios is installed.

The problem is when I have USB legacy support enabled in bios I lose keyboard support during the boot up such that I can't toggle choices say between Windows and Ubuntu or between Windows Safe Mode and Normal Startup after, for instance, a BSOD. Once in Windows however, the keyboard is active.

If I disable USB legacy support the keyboard is active throughout the bootup process but my USB external drive is not recognized during the post phase and so I cannot use it as a boot device.

The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard but it makes no difference if I use it as a USB keyboard with a PS2 to USB adaptor. When legacy support is enabled it is not active during the boot up.

Any ideas to remedy this? Would using a PCI USB card be a workaround so that I could leave legacy support enabled and not lose the keyboard function during boot?

Last edited:
Hi mate i had this problem, i shut down and unplugged all usb devices except usb mouse and usb keyboard which where in USB #1 and USB #2 ports on the motherboard. Then rebooted, that solved it for me. Dont know why, must be usb priorities. Good luck

Legacy USB enabled should allow you to use the keyboard before Windows boots. Yours seems backwards.

Once booted without legacy support, does the drive not show up in the device manager at all? Have you reinstalled using new drivers or force reinstalling USB devices (right click -> uninstall)? Have you updated your BIOS? Reset CMOS?

Legacy USB enabled should allow you to use the keyboard before Windows boots. Yours seems backwards. Yes it does. I went out and bought a USB keyboard thinking that the PS2 to USB adaptor I was using simply changed the physical plug and not the signal. Switching to a real USB keyboard seemed to do the trick - for a while. It allowed me to have the keyboard active with legacy support enabled. But then for some reason it reverted.

Once booted without legacy support, does the drive not show up in the device manager at all? No. Have you reinstalled using new drivers or force reinstalling USB devices (right click -> uninstall)? No. But I did do a new Windows install since I posted this problem. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I have not looked for updated drives on the mfg website but I probably should. Asus must be having technical problems right now with their web site. Have you updated your BIOS? Yes. Reset CMOS? Yes.

"trents", I g00gled a bunch of different terms trying to get something to show and I found 'only' one board like yours that was the EVO model and he had the same issue and the forum he posted in nEvEr even tried to give him any answer.

I will look some more as time allows and I think of what to look for.

Thanks Rgone. You dig up valuable stuff better than anyone on the forum.

oldbrave: NO, nothing plugged into the USB3 ports except the USB hard disk cradle.

JanDerek, there is no start up problem per se. The computer never fails to post or boot into windows and both USB2 legacy and USB3 work not at the same time. Pretty sure this is a bios issue.

Back