• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with watercooling my rig~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pakaste

Hello.

After reading up on watercooling, I'm still left abit puzzled.
I'm planning on watercooling my rig (i5 3570k and 2x GTX 780's), and I'm not sure exactly what to buy, how big radiators I need, etc. I'd prefer to be able to overclock both the CPU and the GPU's, while maintaining a decently low noise.

At the moment I have a CM Storm Stryker for my case, although I could swap it for something else better suited for large rads, etc.

I have no set budget.

Any and all suggestions are highly welcome, thank you guys in advance! :)

suggestion 1: Buy used safe a couple of bucks that way, many water coolers love to update their stuff or discard new parts just because they dont like how it looks in their loop

I believe either a 1x 360mm and 1x 240 rads should be more than enough. I had 2x r9 290's and a 8120 (and was running it with 1-360, 1-240 and 1-120. very low noise.

Since you want low noise AVOID high FPI (fins per inch) rads, such as the black ice gt.

Many members here recommended me Alphacools St30, xt45, and ut60 for low rpm's but some xspc have similar density.

for pump a mcp 35x or a d5 (just 1) should be more than enough even if you add a couple angles.

Tubing is your prefference I liked 3/8-5/8, i would recommend using a universal size (commonly used) since that way if you want to expand or add Qconencts it will be easier.

suggestion 1: Buy used safe a couple of bucks that way, many water coolers love to update their stuff or discard new parts just because they dont like how it looks in their loop

I believe either a 1x 360mm and 1x 240 rads should be more than enough. I had 2x r9 290's and a 8120 (and was running it with 1-360, 1-240 and 1-120. very low noise.

Since you want low noise AVOID high FPI (fins per inch) rads, such as the black ice gt.

Many members here recommended me Alphacools St30, xt45, and ut60 for low rpm's but some xspc have similar density.

for pump a mcp 35x or a d5 (just 1) should be more than enough even if you add a couple angles.

Tubing is your prefference I liked 3/8-5/8, i would recommend using a universal size (commonly used) since that way if you want to expand or add Qconencts it will be easier.

Thanks for replying!
I'm most likely buying them new, because I live in Finland, there isn't a whole lot of used stuff for sale. Plus, I'm lazy so I'll probably just order all at once from some place.

So basically 1x 360mm and 1x 240mm rad? They should probably be 60mm thick from what I've been reading..?

Do you have a recommendation for a case? Should I just opt for the Corsair Obsidian 900D or something?

theres a lot to read through prior to buy such as materials, etc ( theres asticky here that helps) but 45 is the standard size.

I beleive your case supports 2- 240's. (top and bottom or top and front?) who knows maybe 3-240's
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3099

I'm not sure about cases, but i do know Thermal take recently releaqsed a water friendly case (Several actually) in the 150-200 frame.
I think they fit 2- 360's

make sure you don't mix metals.

theres a lot to read through prior to buy such as materials, etc ( theres asticky here that helps) but 45 is the standard size.

I beleive your case supports 2- 240's. (top and bottom or top and front?) who knows maybe 3-240's
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3099

I'm not sure about cases, but i do know Thermal take recently releaqsed a water friendly case (Several actually) in the 150-200 frame.
I think they fit 2- 360's

make sure you don't mix metals.

I've been thinking of selling this case though, and buying a new one. The 900D looks really really tempting, though expensive. I don't think my current case could even fit a 40mm rad on the top with fans. Wouldn't 60mm rads be even better for keeping the rig more quiet? So I could opt for a more accomodating case.

And about mixing metals, basically shouldn't I avoid aluminum? Although just to play it safe, I could just get ones with the same metal.

Welcome to OCFs.

Slow down and take your time on reading our water cooling stickies. Take a look here as well as build logs related to said case (900) and builds with a similar CPU and 780s. There's plenty out there, just use google to look them up or look around these threads. I am sure you'll find a few that are your exact setup.

Once you feel you've better understood, give us a list of what you believe is adequate for your setup. Since you have no budget a 900D will undoubtedly be no issue with any water cooling configuration that is thrown to it.

Back