• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need helpfull advice first time water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirfox

Registered
I have some what of an idea of how to do it from researching on my own. Any feed back and suggestions will be helpfull.

this is my plan...

i want to do a single loop. that will have two blocks and two radiators.
I will probably add a second gpu to it down the road.

parts list...

1. Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 360 Radiator - Black.
  2. Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 140 Radiator - Black.
  3. Monsoon Series Two Premium D5/MCP655 Dual Bay Reservoir w/ Quick. Change LED Control - Matte Black w/ Blue Trim (M2-D5P-BL).
  4. PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 7/16"ID x 5/8" OD.
  5. Heatkiller Rev 3.0 1155/1156/1150 CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel / Black
  6. Swiftech MCP655-PWM-DRIVE 12v Water Pump Module - PWM Enabled.
  7. hydro coper for my EVGA gtx 770 classified.
  8. coolant will be distill water clear.
the fittings ill figure out as i go.
fan suggestions would help.

will the pump that i have chosen be ok for this loop. ( main concern )

I will put the smaller RAD after the CPU then to the GPU.
the pump's outlet is going to the larger RAD first.

my rigs specs are below and i have posted some pics of my current rig on my home page.
overall i would like it to be quiet and efficient

Any feed back or suggestions will be use full.

I'm curious about that reservoir.

-Things to consider: Noise? are you ok with noise? (fan noise)
-Space? you might need more than 1-360 and 1-140 to cool once you add a second card.
-FAns (high static pressure) several brands
compression fittings (depends on your budget, and tubing size) I would look in diferrent forums and buy used to save.

If you dont mind fan noise you can get higher FPI radiators.

BTW Im not a pro at this I'm just giving suggestions from my mistake.

PS: consider Drain/fill valve

I'm curious about that reservoir.

-Things to consider: Noise? are you ok with noise? (fan noise)
-Space? you might need more than 1-360 and 1-140 to cool once you add a second card.
-FAns (high static pressure) several brands
compression fittings (depends on your budget, and tubing size) I would look in diferrent forums and buy used to save.

If you dont mind fan noise you can get higher FPI radiators.

BTW Im not a pro at this I'm just giving suggestions from my mistake.

PS: consider Drain/fill valve

thanks for the info

I won't be adding the second gpu tell like 6 months from now.

the case I have I could put 2 more 120s or 1 120 and another 140 if it comes to it, but then I would need a second pump.

I will measure the FPI on my h100 it's not too loud with the stock fans.

Last edited:
In a recent post several members recommended me a UT60. For great performance for noise ratio. Due notice their thickness .

Rads like these will be your best bet.

Do you gave space next to your psu for another radiator?

I beleive theres cougars 140mm fans. For 140 rads.

Go read martin's fan testing. It's the best testing I've seen for fans.

What made you pick a D5 over a DDC?

Why?

the D5 looks like it's constructed better and looks very solid.
I'll look in to the pumps some more.

from what I have seen from other builds most have a RAD after the CPU befor the GPU.

thanks for the fan tip I will check out Martin's fan review.

Welcome to OCFs!

Other than water cooling your GTX 770 we don't know what your core components are including your case and what else you will be water cooling. Do you know the heat load and how much heat surface is needed? If you're going to add a second GPU you will need more heat surface. Do you have the space for it? These are the basics that need to be figured out before you jump to choosing pumps and reservoirs, etc, etc.

When water cooling I usually advise new comers to build around the case. So if you understand water cooling and know how much heat surface is needed to the max or future proofing if you will, you will choose the right case from the start and than go from there.

this is the first time using the form still trying to figure it out.

my case is a nzxt phantom 630.

I will be water cooling a intel 3770k and the gtx 770 (will add a second one later or not)

the thickest RAD i can put on top is 45mm with the fans on the top of the case. longest that would fit is a 360.

this is the first time using the form still trying to figure it out.

my case is a nzxt phantom 630.

I will be water cooling a intel 3770k and the gtx 770 (will add a second one later or not)

the thickest RAD i can put on top is 45mm with the fans on the top of the case. longest that would fit is a 360.

Thanks for the response. Are you looking for a quiet operating rig or sound isn't an issue?

Jack wouldn't a st 30 push, pull be more beneficial than a xt45. (If the fans can fit as in does he has the extra 10 mm).

All I can say as far as what has not been said yet, leak test leak test leak test.

My first intro into watercooling went flawlessly, then the setup you see in my sig, I caught a leak at the cpu block simply due to the fitting not being properly tightened. Merely glad I had the loop on a table and not in my beloved pc :p

the D5 looks like it's constructed better and looks very solid.
I'll look in to the pumps some more.

from what I have seen from other builds most have a RAD after the CPU befor the GPU.

thanks for the fan tip I will check out Martin's fan review.

You definitely need to do some reading. The sticky in this section is a great place to start. If you're having trouble understanding it (I'm guessing English is not your first language), feel free to post here and someone will be more than happy to explain whatever it is that you're struggling with. You may even be able to find someone who speaks your native language who can help you out.

Hey buddy. From nzxt websites. You can put. 120.3 and 120.2. And I'm sure you can fit one in the back as well.

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/118-phantom-630.html

Edit added photo of similar layout.
I will put a 140.1 in the back of the case. the 120.2 could go on the front i would have to work around the HDD cage. there is room for it on the bottom as well

You definitely need to do some reading. The sticky in this section is a great place to start. If you're having trouble understanding it (I'm guessing English is not your first language), feel free to post here and someone will be more than happy to explain whatever it is that you're struggling with. You may even be able to find someone who speaks your native language who can help you out.

sorry for the spelling:( i was on my phone when I started this thread.
just for the record my first language was English and ASL (american sing language), but im not deaf.

this is my current rig.

Attachments

• user157894_pic4570_1391461548.jpg
    user157894_pic4570_1391461548.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 146
sound wont be much of an issue. most of the time i use head phones when gaming (I don't want it to sound like a raging hurricane under full load though) .
as long as idle noise are reasonably low.

Take your time and read up some of the stickies. Get the basics to better understand how much heat load will be generated and how much heat surface will be needed. You could make it sound like its quietly idling on full load.

Back