• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need info on OCZ memory and Booster plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnomalyX

Registered
This is a 2 part question. First...Can the OCZ DDR Booster be used successfully with OCZ memory modules? The modules have "overvoltage protection". Will it stop me from pumping more than 2.9v into the memory?
Secondly, my memory is rated for 2.5-4-4-8, I can run it fine at 2-4-4-7 and even 2-4-4-5 (And have been for months). I thought that bumping my voltage up a few notches could allow me to run it at 2-3-3-7, so trying it allowed me to run Memtest-86 for 10 passes with no errors. I posted into windows and ran Prime 95 for a 1/2 hr...no problem. However, I then wanted to delete a file on my desktop and my system crashed. It took me 3 tries to get back into windows, just to have it crash again after opening and closing a couple of programs, but running 3Dmark03 was a perfect run. So it looks like my memory has a hard time with disk access at 2-3-3-7 timings. So, second question is will pumping more voltage into my memory allow it to stablize?

The overvoltage protection isn't a limiting device, its for safety. It helps keep the modules from burning up when you over volt them. So don't worry about that, it's a good thing.

Yes you can use the booster on your ram and it probably will help. Keep in mind though that one or two voltage bumps usually can fix memory problems so don't get crazy with the votlages. Not too many types of ram can handle the higher settings of the booster even the ones with the above mentioned protection. I'm not sure of the chips on your ram but depending on how old they are they could be Hynix, or Samsung (someone correct me if I'm wrong there) both of which will do good but usually don't need alot of voltage to do so.

You may just have a cpu that can't handle high fsb. 3.28 is pretty high afaik so try upping the votlage a little to it then try those settings again to see if that helps.

Thank you Wannaoc :clap:

You gave me the confidence to try further overvolting. I have my memory running rock solid at 2-3-3-7 at 3.4v. I'm now gonna try to lower the volts, untill it starts to crash. The reason I'm overclocking "backwards" is to see if the voltage has anything to do with my problem...FYI :attn:

Last edited:
Back