• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

/*need info overclocking 2800+ amd barton*/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeweed333

read last post and thanks for all your help.

//hey iam a novice, the poor overclocker

#include <blahblah> //iostream
main()
{
//specs.

string mb = asus a7v880,
graphix = ati asus A9600GE,
ram = rosewill 512 ddr 184 pin cas L 3,
processor = amd barton 266mhz 2800+;
char answer;

do
{
cout << " I just replace a 1800 amd duron with a 2800 amd barton and I have << not been able to clock over 100 mhz with any multiplier with either << processor. Could it be my ram thats my first thought or could it be a << defeative board.\n";

cout << " problem after booting and it gets to windows opening the screen is << jumbled and streaked beyond reconition. I assume its frozen to cant << tell.\n";
cout << "repeat\n";
cin >> answer;
} while ( answer == 'y' || answer == 'Y');

/* if you need more info Ill post it
thank you for your help this is frustrating me. think ill just start pulling my hair out. oh and I built this system so I should be able to tell you what is needed but Iam far from professional.
*/

getchar ();
return 0;
}

just having a little fun ; )

Last edited:
Does the bios support Barton cores? If you upgraded from duron 1800, I would think that at least a bios and perhaps mobo upgrade would be in order.

how do I check bios to see if it will support barton. I just had a friend flash new bios on to mobo and the 1800 duron (old cpu) still wouldnt go over 100 mhz? same problem with both.

Hmmm..
A lot of old boards had a jumper on them that would specify FSB. I would suggest investing in a new mobo, one with a pci lock, or it will be tough to overclock for an expert without it, nevermind someone not familiar with overclocking. I'm not sure of that particular model, but I don't believe the VIA chipsets other than kt400 had pci lock.

As far as checking to see if bios supports duron, go to manufaturer website and check bios updates to see.

Is that a 333 barton or a 266 barton?

If it's 266, you need bios 1008 or later, 333 and all bios's should run it.

Scratch that... You need 1009 bios or later for either..

There seems to be no jumper setting for fsb..
here is a link to the manual..

Tell us your settings in the bios so we can help better..
Voltages, speeds, timings, etc.

Last edited:
i have the voltage set at auto
multiplier at 20 goes up to 23.5x

mhz set at 100
everything else is set at auto not sure what iam doing wrong but I can get it to 105 and 110 mhz but i have a 50/50 chance for windows to boot with out the messed up screen.

iam going to check on the bios right now. they are recent and the board is suppose to support this fsb. its why I chose it and $. I have the manual on hand.

266 for the barton 2800+ and i believe 266 for duron 1800

iam running the barton right now put it in last night

Last edited:
CPU Socket A for AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred / Barton Core support
Chipset VIA KT880
VIA VT8237
Front Side Bus 400/333/266/200 MHz
Memory - Dual Channel Memory Architecture
- 4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory

specs for mobo

I have 1009 bios

thanks for all ur help I just figured out how to flash my own bios (1010 beta version)
Iam still learning appreciate ur help and thx again.

Iam not having any problems now for the moment and just got my thermal paste in a day after I my cpu. tin foil it baby ; )

neweeg = ups newegg good ups blows

Back