• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need motherboard with 3 PCIe x16 and one x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think there are for ivy nope. Not enough pcie lanes off of the processor. The closest are the super high-end boards like maximus extreme and asrock extreme11.

Hmm

I see a bunch with PCIe x1. I'm wondering if I could get a raid card that would use that

But none will run 16x16x16x4x as the OP wants.

Mind you chances are you wouldn't notice the difference between 4x and 16x especially pcie3.

I was assuming he meant three x16 and one x4 physical slots, since the GPUs and the RAID card are physically that size.

Let me make a correction. I no longer do any hardcore gaming. I would like to be able to play games still, just nothing about 1600x1200, therefore I don't need the full x16 channel, just the slot to fit three pcie x16 slots. the two 460s can run at x8 for all I care

Yeah the difference in performance between PCIe 3.0 x8 and x16 is very low, and probably unnoticeable. You'll most likely be running your 4 cards in x8/x8/x8/x8 in 4 x16 physical slots..

As Matt said not much difference, maybe this could help by looking at this post! AJ. :shrug: ;)

This video might give you a idea! :thup:

All PCI-E slots are compatible with each other, ie an x1 sound card can go in an x16 slot. In one of my servers I have an x16 video card in an x4 slot (you'll have to look for ones that are open-ended though, some are not). You can put a RAID x4 in any x16 slot.

I would probably choose the ASRock Z77 Extreme9 or Z77 WS. The MVE, UP7, and Extreme11 cost more and would do the same job. EVGA's boards have had a bad rap by a lot of the public, but I personally never had problems with the one I owned.

Yes, you do need the PCIe slots, if you plan to run 4 PCIe cards...lol. The Extreme9 and WS are the two cheapest ones.

I'll look again, but I think the 6 I posted are the only ones that fit your needs.

Nah, that won't work because your bottom GPU will cover up one of the PCIe slots, leaving you with only 3 usable slots.

The ASUS P8Z77 WS will work in addition to the boards I already listed, but it's over $320...

Actually, you're right. That M4E-Z will work as long as it supports Ivy (it should with recent a BIOS) and the ATI 2400 is single slot. I thought that last slot was x1... :bang head

I didn't even look through the Z68 boards since compatibility with Ivy isn't guaranteed.

Back