• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VanillaOreo

Hey guys I just made this account cause i'm tired of searching for answers when i'd rather ask. I just upgraded my CPU to a Phenom II x4 965. I bought an after market cooler, the hyper 212 plus after reading good reviews. I decided this would be my first overclock attempt!! :clap: Anyways i got prime95 and AMD overdrive, in amd overdrive i bumped up my multipliers intill i went from 3.4ghz to 3.6ghz and everything ran cool about 15-20 minutes in prime it was about 52-53C max. I heard 60C is the spot to stay under so i went for 3.8ghz and got this error from prime on one of my cores "Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" does this mean i need to increase voltage? And if so how much? I'm i total noob here. Before you ask specs: m4a88t-m motherboard, Phenom II x4 965, hyper 212 plus cooling, 500w antec power supply, adata 4g dual channel 1600mhz, and a geforce gt240(soon to be a radeon 7770). Anyways guys any help would be amazing :bday:

Here you go!

That's as good as it gets for OC guides for Ph2 overclocking.
I don't have the time to attempt that wall of text at the moment, but i will sometime tonight most likely. Thank you! I don't know what it is, but the second i start getting into my computer hardware i can't stop.
Been about 4 years since i dared open up my case though...

Increase your voltage in .025 increments until you get the final overclocked kind of zeroed in on and then tweak the voltage down if you can. The kind of error you got is indicative of need more vcore.

Welcome, VanillaOreo.
the denab cpus tend to get unstable at around 55c.
what is your cpu/nb speed and voltage? (this is on the cpu itself and not to be confused with the "nb", which is on the motherboard). reducing these can help reduce the processor temps a little.

Welcome, VanillaOreo.
the denab cpus tend to get unstable at around 55c.
what is your cpu/nb speed and voltage? (this is on the cpu itself and not to be confused with the "nb", which is on the motherboard). reducing these can help reduce the processor temps a little.
I'm not sure i quite understand what your asking haha... the speed is 3.6ghz and voltage is stock 1.375. I think thats what your asking... i think.

The CPUNB is a component of the integrated memory controller ("IMC") and resides on the CPU die. It has it's own adjustments, in addition to the CPU core adjustments you have already been working on.

The CPUNB is a component of the integrated memory controller ("IMC") and resides on the CPU die. It has it's own adjustments, in addition to the CPU core adjustments you have already been working on.
So how would i find these things out?

If you read the guide txus linked for you it will help you understand all the terms we'll be using and how to apply them

If you'e bios is reasonably detailed it will have line items for adjusting the CPUNB frequency and voltage. They may be labeled "NB" instead of CPUNB and because of that can be easily confused with the chipset NB which has to do with the PCI-e function. It would be very helpful to all concerned if you would attach pics of the overclocking sections of your bios with your next post. There is a built in forum tool for doing this if you go to "Go Advanced" and click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the next screen.

I didn't mean to cause confusion, it just looked like his temps were a little high for the cooling he has installed.

I didn't mean to cause confusion, it just looked like his temps were a little high for the cooling he has installed.
Yeah i have a small feeling the fan is backwards... I mean i assumed the fan would be put on to push air through, not pull air through the heatsink so ill have to go check that out more thoroughly i guess.. Also do i have to go into bios? Cant i just use programs instead?

Cant i just use programs instead? = Not easily. We don't work with auto clockers and software clockers and voltage adjustment and such since they really are a pain from one system to another. You can try AOD all you want but you are on your own in general. I am sure there are some forums somewhere like AMD dot com forums that are likely to have somebody in there that uses the AMD software.
RGone...

PS: fans on CM212 if only one is installed is designed to push air thru the fins.

Back