• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recomendation for 17" full size laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimGreen

Registered
The people on this site are IMHO the most knowledgeable computer group around, so I need your recommendation. I am thinking about a new 17" laptop with a core 2 duo chip, at least 2GB ram, and a CD writer. I can spend $1,500 or more if necessary, but I'd like to spend less. I must have XP, either 32 or 64 is OK. I have an XP I can use, but the laptop maker must supply the drivers required. What do you guys think is the best choice? Newegg has the Asus M70Vm for about $1,550. Is this the best, or should I look at others?

Thanks for the help, Jim

Sorry, I forgot to mention I don't play games or watch movies on computers. But I do design image analysis software for very large images, so that's why I want a large hi-resolution screen, a powerful processor, and lots of ram to hold those giant images. Also, I suspect 200GB or so of disk would be more than enough. Does this help narrow things down?

Thanks, Jim

Sorry, I forgot to mention I don't play games or watch movies on computers. But I do design image analysis software for very large images, so that's why I want a large hi-resolution screen, a powerful processor, and lots of ram to hold those giant images. Also, I suspect 200GB or so of disk would be more than enough. Does this help narrow things down?

Thanks, Jim

Well, the best kind of computing will be achieved using a desktop. What are your reasons for wanting a laptop? I can assure you, with a 17" screen, you'll be cringing everytime you want to lug that monster around. Personally, I found it hard to want to bring around anything over a nice 13.3" Macbook.

With this in mind, that leaves only the advantage of being able to tote around your 17" for non-routine affairs -- if, for example, you need to bring it to the office once in a while, or if you need to make a presentation. How often do these things come up.

But nevermind that, suppose you're looking at a laptop.

IMO, for the 200 GB, hard drive, why not just buy yourself an external? It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper and I assume, much more convenient if you ever need to transfer huge gobs of images between places. For the screen, it sounds to me like you simply need a secondary monitor. This will get you more desktop space, and all the resolution your wallet (and GPU) can handle.

All this leaves is the processor.

Anyways, for me, I use a 13.3" Macbook, nearly permanently plugged in at home, hooked up to a 19" widescreen and a 500 GB external. It's a very effective setup. In retrospect, I should have gone with the Macbook Pro for computing power, plus because I rarely take the Macbook anywhere, I would have liked a 15" or 17" in conjuction with my 19".

I bought my Dell E1705 back in 2006 and it's served me well. It's ~10lbs and I don't mind carrying it around. I don't see why so many people complain about carrying laptops around... grow some muscles.

I take it to classes several days a week (2.5 hrs battery life)!

I play games on it, Photoshop, etc. I've also upgraded the 100GB HD to a 200GB HD, switched the CPU to a T7200 C2D and put AC5 on it.

Dell's aren't too bad, check around our classifieds for laptops.

Also, if you don't specifically need a laptop, you can build a killer machine for under $500 (with a lcd screen) and it'll be faster :).

:soda:

^ That's not really the case with the P-7811, lol. It's top of the line in almost every area, so that figure is a little low.

I bought my Dell E1705 back in 2006 and it's served me well. It's ~10lbs and I don't mind carrying it around. I don't see why so many people complain about carrying laptops around... grow some muscles.

I really dislike this criticism.

People have different priorities and needs. To some people (like myself) a 17" laptop is way too big. I go to work with a small messenger bag, usually holding folders and a lunch. A 17" laptop would require a new bag entirely. What about people who trek to work? Or require their laptops to fit on their laps for operation on a tight bus or train?

I can assure you, I was stronger than most people my age when I had a 15" Compaq several years ago. And yet I still found it bulky and largely a hassle. So I did have muscles. And I still did not enjoy the machine.

The "grow some muscles" comment is inane and ridiculous. Do you think, given the choice between a sleek and compact machine, or a big and bulky one, a group of bodybuilders and weightlifters would automatically pick the latter just because they're able to bench press a certain poundage?

I really dislike this criticism.

People have different priorities and needs. To some people (like myself) a 17" laptop is way too big. I go to work with a small messenger bag, usually holding folders and a lunch. A 17" laptop would require a new bag entirely. What about people who trek to work? Or require their laptops to fit on their laps for operation on a tight bus or train?

I can assure you, I was stronger than most people my age when I had a 15" Compaq several years ago. And yet I still found it bulky and largely a hassle. So I did have muscles. And I still did not enjoy the machine.

The "grow some muscles" comment is inane and ridiculous. Do you think, given the choice between a sleek and compact machine, or a big and bulky one, a group of bodybuilders and weightlifters would automatically pick the latter just because they're able to bench press a certain poundage?

I apologize for the misunderstanding. It was not an attack on your comment, otherwise it would have been quoted. I was simply expressing my opinion regarding notebook weights and their users in a general sense; as you expressed your opinion regarding why you prefer and suggest a certain size notebook. Also, if you read my rebuttal close enough, you'll see I reference notebooks in general, not any particular type or size... If you are going to carry something around ranging from a book to a laptop, if you need a certain item, you will have to carry it -> period.
:screwy: :beer:

Back