• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED need recommendation on a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosteeddc

so i recently might have bent pins on my fx6100 spare rig and cant seem to able to fix it, now i need to get another cpu and dont really know much about amd's line up of cpus, and id need one that wont bottleneck a gtx680 and is on a cpu budget just trying to spend the least possible, which one should i get? im using a asus m5a97 mobo, i know it can do am3+ not sure whats the other supported sockets.

It can take AM3 and AM3+ CPUs.

Do you have access to the classifieds? There's a Phenom II X6 in there that would be perfect for you.

It can take AM3 and AM3+ CPUs.

Do you have access to the classifieds? There's a Phenom II X6 in there that would be perfect for you.

yes, what is phenom x6 compared to as of intel's line up? is it a good one for gaming? 4 or 6 cores? dunno much about AMDs

Well, this going to spark a debate between fanboys because people are going to knock AMD on there poor single threaded performance compared to intel. I would say 960T would be a good score if you can find one for cheap because you have the possibility of unlocking cores. I would stay away from the bulldozer lineup since they are power hungry and don't show a huge increase in performance over last gen AMD cpu's. So look for a Thuban 960/1075 and you will be fine with little to no bottleneck on a GTX 680.

960 and 1075 is phenom right? and its am3 or am3+ socket? and im assuming the t, black edition, stands for k as of intel for unlocked right?

AM3 and AM3+ CPUs both work on AM3 and AM3+ sockets. Forward and backwards compatible.

Phenom X4s are quad core Deneb CPUs. Phenom X6 are hexacore Thuban CPUs. Deneb, Thuban, and Bulldozer (FX series) are the name of the architectures, like Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. IMO, Deneb and Thuban are better than Bulldozer for gaming (unless you get a FX-8xxx octocore CPU).

The exception to this is the 960T. It's sold as a X4, but it's actually a X6 with two locked cores. That means it uses the Thuban architecture, which is slightly better than the Deneb architecture.

I think T just indicates that it's not really a Phenom II X4 or something. It doesn't really relate to anything else. A Black Edition CPU is the same as K on Intel, unlocked multiplier. However, unlike Intel Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs, you can overclock locked CPUs.

They're hard to find, but my recommendation would be any Thuban CPU, so a Phenom II X6 or a 960T.

Phenom X4 is going to beat an FX-4100 pretty handily. The Bulldozer CPUs lose a lot of power as you take away cores (since the module can perform like one or two cores depending on the type of calculation. With a FX-4100, since there's only four cores (two modules), it performs like a dual core with floating point calculations.

960T has two locked cores. Unlocking cores is like overclocking, no guarantee that the cores will unlock or be stable.

960T has two locked cores. Unlocking cores is like overclocking, no guarantee that the cores will unlock or be stable.

and 1075t is a 960t with 2 extra cores unlocked already right? well a 4 core processor is fine, nothin i use that will actually use 6 cores

Yup. Thing is that, like I said before, Thuban has some other advantages (better memory controller mainly), which you get with the 960T.

i ended up gettin a phenom x6 1045t as thats all they had in stock besides a 1032t or something like that, hope its good enough

Back