• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recommendations for cooling solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
Biostart TA790GX A3+
4GB PC310600 @ 1333 (was 6GB [3x2GB] of PC38500 @1066, but I returned the RAM and swapped it our for a two stick config for dual channel- thanks QuietIce)
Nvidia GeForce 9600GT w/1GB VRAM
Rosewill 500W RP500
Raidmax RX-9 (standard ATX mid-tower size)

Hi,
I bought the 550 BE to try to unlock the quad and then overclock it, but I want a good cooling solution before I try any modding. I just don't know what to get. I started a thread in the AMD cpu subforum with a lot of the same information here, but I decided to start this offshoot thread specifically to get recommendations, advice, feedback, etc., on cooling solutions.

My intent with my 550 is to overclock it between 3.5-3.7GHz max as a quad, I don't cared about pushing the envelope to 4GHz or beyond. I had originally purchased an Xigmatek HDT SD1283, but with heatsink dimensions of 120x50x159mm that thing was a monster inside my case. I almost didn't have any clearance with my case side panel, if I closed it wrong the thing would scrape against the side panel window. It also covered some of my RAM slots so I had to send it back. So, my first big criteria is I don't want some hideous monstrosity inside my pc. I want a good cooling solution which will give me the performance I need to keep the 550 stable overlocked at 3.7GHz max as a quad while I run games or applications, but something which is reasonable on a budget. I'm not an extreme multitasker either only running three to four apps at a time.

I'm toying around the idea of a water cooled setup as well if I can get one on a reasonable budget. I can't afford these $150+ USD liquid cooled kits and honestly I just don't know enough about it. I was considering the Corsair H50 (mainly because it's $89), but I was reading up on it in another thread by creecher and it just didn't seem that much better than a high end air cooler. Of course if it can do the job then I'll give it some more thought. Although I was reading a customer's review of the H50 on frozencpu.com and I got to say I wasn't impressed with the specs the guy presented - "Corsair H50: idle: 36 C Average idle: 38-40 C Max Temperature: 82 C [under full load] during the test (OCCT or P95 I assume, he didn't specify), the CPU was OC at 3895 Mhz." 82 C?!?!? WTF, is this guy serious?!? Boiling point of water is 100 C, that's within striking range and he's bragging about 82 C under full load. Any hotter and he could cook pasta on his processor. Seriously, that can't be good. Some other people on other forums recommend custom water cooled setups, but I don't have the knowledge for that and I doubt I could do it for $89. Of course if someone out there who knows about liquid cooling can recommend to me all the quality parts I would need for a basic custom water cooled kit (don't need to cool the northbridge or the gpu, just a single cpu setup) for $89 preferably, $120 USD max, then I'm all ears. If not then I'll stick to air cooling.

On the air cooling side I would prefer something with heatpipes that isn't super huge like the Megahalem, but can provide decent to good performance to keep my 550 stable. I really don't want to spend more than $80 on an air cooler either. I've scoured the web and here is the showdown for my top picks so far, all feedback on these items is welcome:

(1) SilverStone NT06 Evolution
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...ersal_CPU_Cooler_SST-NT06-E.html?tl=g40c14s45

Vs.

(2) COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

Vs.

(3) Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069

My decision isn't finalized so aside from feedback on the above mentioned coolers I'm still looking for recommendations on other good coolers. Also, like I've said if someone can provide info on what I need for a basic single cpu custom water cooled setup for $89-120 then I will take that as well.

This is an open ended discussion so all advice, feedback, and recommendations are desired and welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back