• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need reliable amd mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
For the 3rd time msi 890gxm blew up. Even at a lot lower overclocking of only 3.5ghz with no vcore bump, it seems this mobo has some issues with heat or something. Maybe it wasn't designed properly to handle a 6 cores or something? :(

is there a reliable mobo that can handle overclocking a 6 core 1090t to around 4ghz on water cooling? i am tired of paying to ship rma, the taking apart and reassembling, and the downtime while waiting.

+1 if it supports sli but not required. must have 2x pci-e slots for 2 video cards.

Man...I can't believe three of them died on you, wow. Have you ran a Gigabyte or a BIOSTAR in a while? I think both those brands are pretty tough.

MSI is and has always been crap. For around the same price you paid for the GX you could get the ASrock 890FX board. Otherwise, try Asus or Gigabyte. I would stay away from Biostar, their PWM section is weak, just like MSI's.

MSI is and has always been crap. For around the same price you paid for the GX you could get the ASrock 890FX board. Otherwise, try Asus or Gigabyte. I would stay away from Biostar, their PWM section is weak, just like MSI's.

Seriously? Thats news to me...never had or heard an issue with that, at least not on a T-Power.

An ASUS or Gigabyte FX board should do well. :)

Oddly enough the older ASUS M4A79T has four PCIe slots (for future expansion!) instead of the 890FX's 3 (maybe only 2?) slots ...

Try out a newer 880* or 890* chipset motherboard from ASUS, Gigabyte, or AsRock. Also ASUS's Crosshair series motherboards are built for gaming and overclocking. Their M4A7 series motherboards also have good reliability. I have always stuck by ASUS.

Can't remember if 8x instead of 16x impacts SETI or not. My first thought is "no, it doesn't" but I'd check to make sure before buying ...

Quote:From NVIDIA

how about 8x and 16x
Subhajit: It depend on the applications, most will not exceed the PCI-E bandwidth, but there may be some CUDA application that will come close
wingman99: how about seti
Subhajit: We recommend 16x for CUDA usage.
wingman99: ok thanks

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441

Good to know! Probably still worth it to run triples or quads in a rig even if you have to take the 8X hit on performance - but if you're only running two cards you may as well get all that you can out of them, which means the FX chipset ... :)

Well I was curious to find out how much performance gain there is, so I asked again.

QOUTE:from Nvidia
Subhajit: No, there is no performance penalty running CUDA enabled application.

wingman99: in a 4x lane 16x slot

Subhajit: It will be very minor and you will not be able to notice that. However it is actually depends on the CUDA enabled application you will be working on.

wingman99: seti and how minor

Subhajit: Could you please explain me on this/
Subhajit: ?

wingman99: (seti) is the application im wondering how minor the peformance loss will be at 8x or 4x

Subhajit: I have discussed this query with my supervisor and he says there won't be any kind of performance issue when you use 8X lane on x16 slo.

Subhajit: However for 4X lane with x16 slot you may face minor performance issue and that you need to check with your application developer.

Subhajit: wingman99, we strongly recommend using 16x lane.
wingman99: ok thanks

Last edited:
i'm not too worried about getting all 16x pcie slots. right now the fermi card, if seti works with it, goes through them and run out of 100 daily limit quickly.

looks like Gigabyte got most of the votes.

I'm using the Asus Crosshair IV formula mobo with my Phenom II x6 1090t OC to 3.9Ghz with no prob at all. Also comes with Sound Blaster X-Fi on the board. I strongly recommend you go in for Republic of Gamers series.

Navneet
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t OC 3.9Ghz
Corsair H50 CPU liquid cooler
OCZ Fatal1ty 1600 DDR3 8Gb
Asus Crossfire 5870 1GB DDR 5 x 2
WD 1TB Caviar Green // WD 150GB VelociRaptor
Scythe PSU 1000W
Acer 24' LED Display 1080p
Razer Lycosa Keyboard
Razer Mamba Mouse
Razer Mako 2.1 speakers
Coolermaster Storm Sniper AMD Dragon Edition