• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need serious help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PitfireX

Registered
Just picked up some new hardware.

Asus m4n68t-m Motherboard
AMD Phenom ll x2 560 blk edit CPU
Diamond ATI radeon HD 5770 (my old one)
4gb stick patriot 1333
coolmax v600 PSU

Put it all together will my old 500gb HD and PATA DVDdrive.

SO i start it up and no dice, no picture thru the graphics card ports and no picture thru the mobo port. Also the graphics card fan will rev really high then settle and speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down.

Did i damage the mobo? or am i missing something here?

Hard to be 100% sure but it sounds like you sys can't post properly so it is restarting over and over. I've had a few do similar things if I push em too far. It will start, spin up the fan on the card then settle back down then just loops. When I have boot issues like that, especially with an assortment of old/new HW I start with just the board and CPU, no drives etc. Then work forward from there.

Did you plug in both the 24 pin main power supply plug and the 4 pin auxillary one to the motherboard? Does the video card require a seperate power supply connection?

4gb stick patriot 1333 = that board does not seem to have been tested with 4gig sticks of ram. Might not like 4 gig sticks of ram. I would borrow a 2 gig stick and put it in the primary slot according to the manual and see if the board will boot.

With A/C wall power unplugged, I would clear the CmOs after installing a 2gig test stick and then re-apply A/C power and test boot.

This is my GFs computer and she was throwing a fit so we returned the mobo and the ram just to be safe, ended up with a better MSI board and 2x2gb sticks. ended up working alot better but turns out the windows was somehow damaged in the process. we were a little rough with the HD so it doesnt really surprise me....but the system seems to run fine over all, just gotta reinstall. :rain:

Also she freaked out because her mouse/keyboard is ps/2 and the mobo we got only has one of them lol. Anyways thanks guys :thup:

Yes, when you change motherboards the OS will generally have to be re-installed since Windows initials to the motherboard hardware. Different chipsent, needs different drivers, etc. Usually won't reboot into Windows until you re-install.

Yes, when you change motherboards the OS will generally have to be re-installed since Windows initials to the motherboard hardware. Different chipsent, needs different drivers, etc. Usually won't reboot into Windows until you re-install.

Lol i didnt know that and now that i think about it i dont think ive ever replaced a mobo and kept a HD lol thanks!

Back