• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice for my first time water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zodox

I'm going to water cool my computer and this is the first time i'm doing it so i need some advice.

The things i'm going to water cool is my i7, my two 660ti and maybe my motherboard (asus maximus v formula).

The parts i have chosed are:
gpu block: EK-FC670 GTX DCII - Acetal+Nickel
cpu block: EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel
pump: Swiftech MCP655
radiator 1: EK MCRx20-XP 360
radiator 2: EK MCRx20-XP 240
reservoir: EK MCRES Micro Rev2
fittings: Compression Fitting from EK

I have not chosen the tubing and fluid yet. I want it to be red but i dont know if i should chose red tubing or fluid, I have heard that you should avoid colored liquid becouse it can clog the loop. So should i pick a red tube and clear liquid?

Another question i have is does the thickness of the tubing any effect the performance?

The last question I have is will the two radiators be enough for everything im going to cool with the water loop?

I'm going to water cool my computer and this is the first time i'm doing it so i need some advice.

The things i'm going to water cool is my i7, my two 660ti and maybe my motherboard (asus maximus v formula).

The parts i have chosed are:
gpu block: EK-FC670 GTX DCII - Acetal+Nickel
cpu block: EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel
pump: Swiftech MCP655u
radiator 1: EK MCRx20-XP 360
radiator 2: EK MCRx20-XP 240
reservoir: EK MCRES Micro Rev2
fittings: Compression Fitting from EK

I have not chosen the tubing and fluid yet. I want it to be red but i dont know if i should chose red tubing or fluid, I have heard that you should avoid colored liquid becouse it can clog the loop. So should i pick a red tube and clear liquid?

Another question i have is does the thickness of the tubing any effect the performance?

The last question I have is will the two radiators be enough for everything im going to cool with the water loop?
I'll say so(enough for your loop)
And I would go with red tubing always better not to use colors if you don't have to.
ID also pick up some typhoon's for your fans..

I was thinking of using noctua's NF-F12 as fans for the radiators.
Do you have any tip of an good liquid to use?

Umm... we have BIG YELLOW stickies up top. They spell out liquids.

Distilled and a BIOCIDE.

I would NOT buy an EK block. before posting have you read the last 10 posts for updates? BlueZero has another stake for EK's heart.......

Your in a vacuum unless you read lots for a few weeks. and beat the stickies to death for another few weeks.

I can't find any other full cover block that fits the ASUS 660ti DCII than EK-FC670 GTX DCII.

And i have done some research, im not done with it yet but i have started with it. If i was done with it would i be here asking about it?

If you were done you would post a well researched build list and we would be amazed and shake your hand. Some, meaning none to lots. Nice word. Do I need to say more?

If that's the only FC block for your GPU, so be it, get that one.

Okay, I'm being a ****. Not a bad start.

You have NO clue about heat load? We have a sticky for that. You can read about it.

You talk about liquids? And you have done 'some' research. If I was a college professor I would say you failed to meet the minimum requirements for this course. Apply next semester for the basic course. "Thank you, leave my classroom".

Yes, I'm a hardass. You don't have the basics, then stick to buying a Dell or other magic boxes.

Last edited:
Alright, lets all settledown :rofl: ......... :soda:

Welcome to Overclockers forums! :D

You can check out a place for Full Waterblocks HERE. If you can't find any its possible you're just going to have to use a universal block.

Last edited:
Zodox.
Don't take it personal. Conum is a hardass, but it's because he(and the rest of us) wants to see you succeed the first time instead of "throwing good money after bad". Do it once, do it right.
Welcome to OCF. The site you go to to learn it right... When the other sites fail you come here. This community will give you no BS straight up answers...

Is the TDP of my gpu and cpu the same thing as the heat that comes from the cpu or gpu under load and i'm going to overclock them in the future so how do i calculate how much heat it will make when it is overclocked?

In Conumdrum's guide "Guide to Delta-T in Water Cooling" the graph is for one 360 rad, i'm going to use one 360 rad and one 240 rad. Is there any other graphs for using anything different from one 360 rad?

omfg I just realized that .....hahahahhaha :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:chair:...............:facepalm:........... :escape:

OK, no more joking around, op, part that you pick out, i google them up and they're good, for fan i would be more comfortable with SilverStone Air Penetrator Air Channeling Case Fan, they're currently on sale at amazon for $18, normally they're $35

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-P...28&sr=8-5&keywords=silverstone+air+penetrator

For liquid, use distilled water and silver coil, if you want to add color to your loop use uv reactive tubing

I leave the rest to Conumdrum aka The Teacher and the substitute teacher GTXJackbauer, they will show you the right way.

Is the TDP of my gpu and cpu the same thing as the heat that comes from the cpu or gpu under load and i'm going to overclock them in the future so how do i calculate how much heat it will make when it is overclocked?

In Conumdrum's guide "Guide to Delta-T in Water Cooling" the graph is for one 360 rad, i'm going to use one 360 rad and one 240 rad. Is there any other graphs for using anything different from one 360 rad?

Umm math, based on physics. :bang head If a 120x3 is xx Dt, and you add 2/3rd more cooling then you drop your Dt by 2/3 or increase your heatload at the same Dt by 2/3.

Lemme see, you been researching and learning a LOT, and actually reading the stickies and learning! :clap: MUCH better than most, thank you. Your above the normal new guy, thank you.:thup:

The TDP is a good guideline. Once you start overclocking, and adding voltage to the CPU TDP goes up a lot. Not as much on the GPU, you can't change the voltage a lot. Still does tho.

If your looking at 120x5 total raddage with your setup, you have plenty of rad, not a worry. Even with big overclocks and possibly another GPU. As long as your fannage is right. That's as important as rad choice. Need to make sure on fans.

I'd stay away from EK blocks. They are becoming in a way like Feser. You don't need a 4 year old history class. :blah:

Swiftech and Koolance are great. Look around.

I leave the rest to Conumdrum aka The Teacher and the substitute teacher GTXJackbauer, they will show you the right way.

I take it to offense. Substitue teachers are always picked on. I'd rather be called a "Professor" tyvm! :screwy:

I have a feeling you were a D+ student in your classes. If you were my studend I'd FAIL you for misinformation! :p

Jaaaaaaaaaaack. Have you been moonlighting again? Hmmmmmmm.:p

:D

I take it to offense. Substitue teachers are always picked on. I'd rather be called a "Professor" tyvm! :screwy:

I have a feeling you were a D+ student in your classes. If you were my studend I'd FAIL you for misinformation! :p

NOOOooo, no D+, back when i was in school, my parent tell me if i was ever make C, i'll see what happen :D

GTX has more common sense and ability and should get tenure. Maturity and few mistakes.

Some other folks have made too many mistakes here and will never get it.

My son got a C, he was in trouble. Went to advanced HS and has a great job after college.

GTX is a valued member here, and has great input. As much as I hack, cajole, **** folks off, it's all about what you know. He has done well.

Back