• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with extending my wifi signal using 2 asus routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

Well I bought a nt65u from asus last year and was using it in a one story home with no issues at all. A few weeks ago I moved to a 4 story home and as you can imagine I can only get the signal to the first 2 floors while the other two receive no signal.
So last week I picked up a asus RT n66u to run as my main router off our camcast modem and wired to my pc, while the old nt65u would be used as either a repeater or an ap.
I would prefer to run it as an ap, but pulling cable in this house will be difficult to say the least.
After trying my best all last week without any decent instruction I got the nt65 to act as the main router while the new n66u was able to be used as a repeater two floors down. The only problem I experienced was random disconnects on all devices. Also the same signal wasn't being produced. It was basically making you re sign in to the new router or if you were in range of both routers it would jump from one to another, both with internet capabilities. Also multiple signals were being projected through the new router even when configured otherwise...

TL;DR starting from scratch, need some advice/info from more experienced networking wizards to help me out. :bang head

Update: Took me 5 hours, but it is working.
The new firmware for the 66u hates repeater mode i guess. Reset to original firmware with auto static ip and the same frequencies and it is going great.

I up a lwrt54g and another cheap router as a bridge system, covers the whole house

ddwrt or tomato are great alternatives to the stock firmware

I up a lwrt54g and another cheap router as a bridge system, covers the whole house

ddwrt or tomato are great alternatives to the stock firmware

Thats funny I was just reading an article about using those and the tomato firmware to do the same thing. Looks like an easy way to get it done.
If only I knew about it a few weeks ago. :shrug:

I think I found that article on lifehacker, it actually worked really well.

my hp laserjet 4000n doesn't play nicely with it and requires monthly fiddling.

I'm about to start a housewide cat5e wiring project this week, so wireless will be less of an issue

Back