• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with Titan Z aftermarket air cooling recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Guys,

I am looking for recommendations for an aftermarket air cooler for the Titan Z (dual GPU dies). The current setup is a stock NV reference design with a wimpy single fan setup.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D7ZG3388

While running FP64 intensive workloads (the only reason we bought this card), the temps are a bit too high for my liking (96+C), which also results in throttling. I re-pasted the dies without much difference. In the interests of expediency (this is used at work for research), I'd rather buy an aftermarket cooler than machine a custom solution. If you remember anything suitable please let me know.

Thanks!

Do you have a way to set the fan speed to max? I use Precision X OC on my EVGA 1080 cards to control the fans. I don't know if NVIDIA has anything to control the fans or not.

i dont think youll find a dual gpu cooler. im sure youve already thought of this, pull off the plastic housing and mount some high rpm 92mm or 120mm fans to it. other than that i dont know of anything aftermarket for it.

Do you have a way to set the fan speed to max? I use Precision X OC on my EVGA 1080 cards to control the fans. I don't know if NVIDIA has anything to control the fans or not.
I've set the fan to "screaming fast", but that only gets a few C drop in temps. The problem is a combination of a weak cooler and being in a case. This card is in a Dell T7600 case with 2 x Xeons and 128 Gb of ECC DDR3. We need this card to be housed in this chassis, hence the problem.

i dont think youll find a dual gpu cooler. im sure youve already thought of this, pull off the plastic housing and mount some high rpm 92mm or 120mm fans to it. other than that i dont know of anything aftermarket for it.

This is what I was afraid of. Designing adapter plates for 2x single coolers is going to be tricky and so will finding a proper solution for VRM/GDDR cooling. :(

I've set the fan to "screaming fast", but that only gets a few C drop in temps. The problem is a combination of a weak cooler and being in a case. This card is in a Dell T7600 case with 2 x Xeons and 128 Gb of ECC DDR3. We need this card to be housed in this chassis, hence the problem.

I see, Dell is not known for making chassis with good air flow.

Have you tried undervolting the GPU core to reduce power usage? I've had to do that on my 1080TI to reduce temps.

This is what I was afraid of. Designing adapter plates for 2x single coolers is going to be tricky and so will finding a proper solution for VRM/GDDR cooling. :(

no no what i meant was you should be able to remove the plastic cover and be left with the heatsink enderneath it. which is from the pics ive seen, actually really beefy. it just needs more airflow. it looks like you could remove the wimpy stock fan and ziptie a pair of 120s onto it. took forever to find that pic!!!!
https://www.hardwarebbq.com/wp-cont...IDIA-GeForce-GTX-Titan-Z-Heatsink-635x453.png

Back