• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some memory help with overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
async is terribly slow. When I run sync it's so much faster, so my only goal right now is to change the multiplier according to the fsb so I always end up at 2.13ghz.....what I'm at now. To be honest my only goal is to get 166fsb in sync, but so far if I try to run in sync the memory poops out above 150. I think I'll try putting the voltage up higher tonight and try again. Currently if I bump up the memory to 166 in sync it gets into windows then just randomly reboots. SO it's close I think....I hope I can tweak it enough to get it stable in the OS and gaming.

I am not surprise since the officical spec freq for 2400 is only 150 MHz, and the memory may be an already overclocked one (probably from a 7ns chip, 143 MHz).

Just curious. Do you already have or can you get how high the FSB can go (to boot up windows) if you set the MB to run at ASYNC 75%. JUST FOR TESTING.

If you can tell me how high the FSB can go using ASYNC 75%, then 66% (so memory won't be limited), I may have some other ideas.

Is it an A7N8X MB? At ASYNC, the FSB should go at least to 200 MHz.

Last edited:
It's the Epox 8rda, so far I've only done 166fsb, didn't try over that yet but it booted fine at 166.

Are you able to adjust FSB, multiplier, ASYNC with 66, 75, ... %?

If you can do that, it shouldn't take to long to try a boot with AYNC 75%, FSB at 200 MHz, (memory at 150 MHz) to see whether it works.

I got good result doing that with old, slower memory.

Yeah I gave 200fsb a try the other night with mem at 133 and it didn't work, yet the chip was a lower speed than what it is now. I'll have to play around with it.

I heard if u run your memory with a higher fsb,in your case ..200 ,some memory will not work

anyway I have to agree with you that sync is much more better

set the fsb and memory at a same speed is better than running your ram at much higher speed than fsb

s[H]sIkuA said:
I heard if u run your memory with a higher fsb,in your case ..200 ,some memory will not work

anyway I have to agree with you that sync is much more better

set the fsb and memory at a same speed is better than running your ram at much higher speed than fsb

If you have fast memory, for AMD MB, it is true that run them in sync with FSB gets the best memory bandwidth and system performance. Also runing memory faster than FSB in AMD MB won't help.

BUT if you ONLY HAVE SLOWER MEMORY that max out at 150 MHz (including whatever you do to overclock the memory and you don't want to buy PC3200 yet), and you have a fast MB like nforce2 that can run at 200 MHz. What are you going to do?

Option (1) Running ASYNC 75% in dual channel (dimm1 and dimm3), i.e. FSB at 200 MHz, memory at 150 MHz

Option (2) Running SYNC with FSB at 150 MHz (you cannot run SYNC higher since the memory is limiting)

I found that Option (1) is much better than (2), since you will get a memory bandwidth much higher. It is like getting PC2700-2800 (167-175 MHz).

The memory benchmark and 3D mark benchmark result will show that. Try it and you will see the difference.

Last edited:
BTW , why dont get a new ram , DDR333 is very cheap nowadays.
I know u want to save for R9700 but without new ram u will not get what u want to do - Running Sync at 166

Heh i still dont understand why P4 with DDR400 setting at 100fsb still get a high score on sandra

Back